Predator or Community Tank, Which One?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MassNativeTank11_*

Guest_MassNativeTank11_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

Ok, so i was going to keep a redfin pickerel in a tank all alone, then i thought "that could get boring...". I don't know what to do. Should i stick with the pickerel or go for a community tank? What do you guys think? The biggest tank i can get is a standard 65 gallon, so it wont be anything to extreme. Could you guys give me your opinions and some reasons for them? Also, stocking ideas and plant species would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

It's really all about personal preference, but since you asked, if I could only have one tank, I would have a community tank... I have a 75 now with several darters, a school of notropis shiners, a couple of nocomis chubs and a madtom... used to have a pair of topminnows in this tank as well. You never really know what you are going to see in a tank like that... some times certain fish are out, while others hide, sometimes there is a little territorial display... usually dont see the madtom, but whenI do it is a really cool thing. That kind of variety creats the feeling of being out in the stream...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_MassNativeTank11_*

Guest_MassNativeTank11_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

That's what i was thinking, i could have a variety of fish in a community tank instead of just one as in a predatory tank. Thanks!

#4 Guest_tnaylorj_*

Guest_tnaylorj_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

I would bite the bullet and keep a community predator tank... Some act like its impossible but i've kept sunnies, bullheads, and pickerel together with no problem (mind you they are all similarly sized). As long as everything has decent space and hiding areas, I don't think you'll have too much of a problem.

#5 Guest_MassNativeTank11_*

Guest_MassNativeTank11_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

I would bite the bullet and keep a community predator tank... Some act like its impossible but i've kept sunnies, bullheads, and pickerel together with no problem (mind you they are all similarly sized). As long as everything has decent space and hiding areas, I don't think you'll have too much of a problem.

OK, but i've heard that a set up like that would require a large tank and i only have room for a 65... is it still possible?

#6 Guest_tnaylorj_*

Guest_tnaylorj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

OK, but i've heard that a set up like that would require a large tank and i only have room for a 65... is it still possible?

yeah, even with a 65 gallon you should be able to keep one or two longears, redbreasts, pumpkinseeds or something and a smaller bullhead or yellow perch with your redfin pickerel. They'll all go for their spot in the water column.... Just be mindful that if a fish looks like it can fit in another fish's mouth.. it will.

Edited by tnaylorj, 06 June 2010 - 09:26 AM.

#7 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

I agree that a community tank is the way to go if you have just one tank. I also agree that you can keep predators in a community (just not pickerel) if you are mindful of size and species relations. I personally would prefer a larger number of smallish species in a 65. It's a tall tank, so you have an excellent setup for top, middle, and bottom dwelling fish. Topminnows are good top fish, cyprinids and small sunnies in the middle, darters and madtoms at the bottom.

#8 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

I recommend a community tank of fish sufficiently replaceable that you won't miss them as feeders. My pickerel tank has a great swarm of Convict cichlids and Gambusia affinis, with the occasional Heterandria formosa and Fundulus chrysotus mixed in. They're fun to watch and keep the tank lively, but must be replenished every few months.

#9 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:54 AM

Just be mindful that if a fish looks like it can fit in another fish's mouth.. it will.

Also no one ever mentions it but it is worth mentioning.

That saying doesn't just apply to the adding of new fish. Fish grow and they do not all grow at the same rate, so be careful. A fish that doesn't fit in anothers mouth today may fit their a month down the road. I have learned this lesson the hard way a few times.

#10 Guest_MassNativeTank11_*

Guest_MassNativeTank11_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:26 PM

OK, so after some thinking and reading your suggestions... I have come to a decision... I'm going with a community tank. The main reason is that it is a versatile ecosystem (i can mix things up). Thanks guys!

#11 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

Yep. All my mummichogs vanished over the span of a week leaving behind some very fat catfish with whom they had coexisted peacefully for a good six months.

#12 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:43 AM

MassNativeTank11,

Congrats on your decision to go with a community tank! I think you're going to love it! Don't forget to add the darters!

Brian

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users