madtom basics

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:43 PM

I have never had any madtoms andwas thinking of geting one for a 45g of mine any advice on what species or temp,feeding,etc

#2 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

They seem to be sensitive to salt in the tank so be careful about that. Other than that just give them a nice lair to hide in and they are pretty easy to take care of. They will eat anything and won't bother tankmates unless the tankmate can fit in its mouth. :D

#3 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:39 AM

I have never had any madtoms andwas thinking of geting one for a 45g of mine any advice on what species or temp,feeding,etc

I have a 4 inch Margined Madtom in my 110 gal tank. He is co-existing with a pair of bowfins that are 7 and 9 inches. I say co-existing cause I've seen the bowfin take a whack at him only to back off rapidly. I'm not sure if he tastes bad or if they got a mouthfull of spines. If I had to guess, I'd say the latter.

This madtom prefers to hide under a rock. He was extremely shy for 2 months before he started to come out after sinking pellets. He also was very thin at that point but is now somewhat fatter.

He tends to hang around his rock cave. Again, I am not sure if this is normal or if it is a response to having a pair of monsters sharing the tank with him.

#4 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:39 PM

I have a 4 inch Margined Madtom in my 110 gal tank...

This madtom prefers to hide under a rock. He was extremely shy for 2 months before he started to come out after sinking pellets. He also was very thin at that point but is now somewhat fatter.

He tends to hang around his rock cave. Again, I am not sure if this is normal or if it is a response to having a pair of monsters sharing the tank with him.

Mine does the same thing. He usually comes out at feeding time and comes to the surface. He doesn't wait until food trickles down to him.

#5 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:35 AM

Rob,

Please click on the following links to view my pages for Stonecat and Tadpole Madtom care:

Stonecat care

Tadpole Madtom care

And if you decide you would maybe like to get some madtoms from us, click here!

#6 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:56 AM

My first experience with madtoms was with some slender madtoms that I collected myself. They turned out to be very easy to care for and would even eat food from my fingers after a while.

#7 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2007 - 08:39 PM

Where did you get those Slender Madtoms? I was in the Fox River looking for them (in Ferson Creek). Their distribution map shows collections have been made there. I also tried stopping in the Iriquois River I think looking for them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users