Redhorse and Dam Minnows

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

OK, well Hero Green got the message that the last couple of videos were "too frivolous" and that NANFA people "take their fish seriously" and didn't really want to see all the jump cuts, posterized still frames, etc. Hero was also reminded that not everyone appreciated the humor of the musical juxtapositions that were presented, and that some may not have even known who the Ohio Players were. So Hero was convinced (somewhat begrudgingly) to tone it down a little for the next couple of videos.

First one, is a short (couple of minutes) look at some redhorse that we encountered at Brown Mountain Beach that shows some behaviour that I had not previously seen.

http://www.vimeo.com/12327307

The next one, is a five minute look at the fish that were below a very interesting dam that we snorkeled during the same trip. The structure of this old dam was still standing, but it was not holding back the river, just letting it through... we saw colored up mirror shiners, whitetail shiners, striped shiners and others.

http://www.vimeo.com/12335891

Take a look and enjoy!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

awesome videos! What type of camera do you use?

#3 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

Cool, it was interesting how the Redhorse piled up underneath all of that driftwood.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

awesome videos! What type of camera do you use?

It's a neat little camera that shoots in HD (these videos are not in HD, I had to down convert them to edit and post) directly to ad SD chip... so no tape! Made by a company called Bonica for diving, it comes with a silicone skin and a had plastic housing. So far it has been a pretty nice set-up... I have only used it a few times, but have had no porblems at all... so I am very satisfied.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:02 PM

was that a longear sunfish swimming by the redhorse in that video?

#6 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:43 AM

It's a neat little camera that shoots in HD (these videos are not in HD, I had to down convert them to edit and post) directly to ad SD chip... so no tape! Made by a company called Bonica for diving, it comes with a silicone skin and a had plastic housing.

Is that the snapper HDDV? I had been thinking of getting one of them. You can also take still photos with it correct?

#7 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

The "Blue Helmeted Warrior of Love" was my favorite video. I thought the music choice was perfect!

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:01 AM

FirstChAos - The sunfish in the Redhorse video were all redbreast, I beleive.

smilingfrog - Yes, I believe you are talking about the same camera. I bought the silicone skin and the hardcase with mine. The silicone skin had some spotty reviews as was only rated to 12 feet or so. I was concerned with all of the rough usage of "bouncing it along the stream boton" and the high flow we are in some times, that I should have more protection for the camera. The hard case is rated for somehting stupid like 180 feet... but for me that is just extra insurance against the rough handing and high flow.

Susan - thanks, I appreciate you saying so... particularly since I know that you were actually there so see some of these sites first hand.

#9 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:38 AM

Those vids are cool! I liked the "Blue Helmeted Warrior of Love" video, too. Of course, my favorite videos were the ones that starred darters. I guess I'm just a "Darter Geek!" :mrgreen:

Brian

#10 Guest_moxostoma_*

Guest_moxostoma_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

Cool videos! I'm moving to South Carolina from Wisconsin in a few weeks for grad school and am very excited to meet the local aquatic fauna...

Do you know what species of redhorse those were?

#11 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

Let us know when you make it down. We will show you around. Where will you be? In Columbia or Charleston?

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

Cool videos! I'm moving to South Carolina from Wisconsin in a few weeks for grad school and am very excited to meet the local aquatic fauna...

Do you know what species of redhorse those were?

No, I do not, I can tell you where they were (like what drainage we were in... actually I think it is already in the video) but I am not the moxostoma expert (as I suspect you might be).

And like Dustin said, let us know when you get down here (especially if you are in Columbia which is a lot closer to me over here in Georgia) and also, keep in mind that some of us would prefer to get out in the water and help a grad student with his work, than just about anything else, so we can be available if you need an extra hand to drag seine (or whatever else you need done).

MW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users