Elassoma question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:29 AM

Will small elassoma sunfish eat microworms? My baby blackbandeds never would, so before I start a culture, I thought I'd ask if anyone else got their elassoma to eat microworms.

#2 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

I have only fed my colonies live brine shrimp and live chopped blackworms. I would be interested in hearing if it works or not.

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

I don't see why they wouldn't Bob. I fed my fry vinegar eels when I had a culture and the smaller fish took Grindal worms heartily. I would assume the fry would really love the microworms, though I have to say I would have assumed the same for the chaetodon. Odd that they weren't interested.

#4 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

I'll try it. I was surprised when the chaetodon wouldn't. Right now the elassoma are gorging on baby daphnia. I feed the colony some yeast, which gets them reproducing in a hurry. Then I pour a big batch through an aquarium net with decently large holds, under which sits a brine shrimp net. The big net sifts out the big daphnia, leaving the small ones. I've got about 8 vinegar eel colonies going, so I'll have to harvest some of them as well.

I don't see why they wouldn't Bob. I fed my fry vinegar eels when I had a culture and the smaller fish took Grindal worms heartily. I would assume the fry would really love the microworms, though I have to say I would have assumed the same for the chaetodon. Odd that they weren't interested.

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

Please let us know if your Elassoma fry do well eating microworms. I've been a bit disappointed in microworms and walterworms; my dwarf cichlid and Badis fry dont seem to like them much. They'll eat a few just to stay alive, but survival and growth seem poor compared with feeding Artemia. Protozoa or rotifers in the microworm water may actually be what the fish are eating.

I'll try it. I was surprised when the chaetodon wouldn't. Right now the elassoma are gorging on baby daphnia. I feed the colony some yeast, which gets them reproducing in a hurry. Then I pour a big batch through an aquarium net with decently large holds, under which sits a brine shrimp net. The big net sifts out the big daphnia, leaving the small ones. I've got about 8 vinegar eel colonies going, so I'll have to harvest some of them as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users