good camera for underwater shooting

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kwheeler91_*

Guest_kwheeler91_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

im been scouring the web for a camera for days now. it seems like everytime i find one that has what i want and im ready to buy, there is no underwater housing available. anyone have any suggestions on cameras that allow for great underwater shots but still has functionality on the surface?

#2 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

im been scouring the web for a camera for days now. it seems like everytime i find one that has what i want and im ready to buy, there is no underwater housing available. anyone have any suggestions on cameras that allow for great underwater shots but still has functionality on the surface?

i have a cheeper model it was under $300.00. the only bad thing i can say about it is the memory card is so small i cant get it out my hands are to big.
it came with editing software and tools,it takes good picture indoors and outside day or night,but the macro settings for tank still shots add a red hue to the picture.all in all it is a well made little pocket camera/tool and works for me.with the newer models this one has came down in price.

http://www.bhphotovi...of_Digital.html

Edited by CATfishTONY, 07 June 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

I just ordered a camera in the same product line as Tony's, the Olympus Stylus Tough 6020. I'll post some shots and a review after I get it and have a chance to test it out. Several other manufacturers now have moderate-priced underwater digital cameras: http://www.bhphotovi...36/N/4294551232

#4 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:13 PM

I just ordered a camera in the same product line as Tony's, the Olympus Stylus Tough 6020. I'll post some shots and a review after I get it and have a chance to test it out. Several other manufacturers now have moderate-priced underwater digital cameras: http://www.bhphotovi...36/N/4294551232

Oh my Nathan, I was unaware there was a Stylus with those specs. I may need to upgrade. Please keep us posted on that review.

#5 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

I just received my Olympus Stylus 790 SW from the Olympus Repair Service Center.
Water was getting inside, somewhere, somehow. It dried out ok 3 times but the last while snorkel camping fried.

The packing slip states they replaced the Main Circuit Board, LCD, Lens, Front Cover, CCD, Side Metal, Rubber Seal Inside Camera. Wow. This cost $109.55
I like this camera and hope this resolves the leaking issues ive been having. It takes a lot of abuse being its in the water a long time and often in rushing water. They offer a silicone sleeve for other models but not for this one. I think a silicone sleeve would be a valuable addition.

Casper

Im still a fan of Olympus but have my concerns. They have a LOT of models, difficult to keep up with. I hope they are making steady improvements, especially regarding water entry.

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

I've got no qualms with my Olympus Stylus Tough 6000. Just won a Polaroid that is almost identical in specs that I'm looking forward to trying out. It starts at just under 200 so I'm not expecting it to be as good as the Olympus for an entry level waterproof camera.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:05 AM

Just to toss out an alternative... I have a pentax WP camera (can't remember any other number from it right now and am not at home) that is a 5 megapixel and it has been great both above and below water. It is my primary camera on camping/snorkel trips for that reason. It has been very durable and reliable (except for the time that I forgot to lock the water proof cover afer changing the chip... but I thin kwe have to count that one as operator error).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:38 AM

I just received my Olympus Stylus 790 SW from the Olympus Repair Service Center.
Water was getting inside, somewhere, somehow. It dried out ok 3 times but the last while snorkel camping fried.

Casper,

I was recently taking some underwater video in my Trout exhibit at Bass Pro and had water sneak in. The battery got wet and the camera refused to turn on for two days. After two days of drying, the camera is back and working. I'm glad I didn't have any need for the camera in those two days. Did the service center make the repairs free of charge, or did you have to pay the $109 ?

#9 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

I paid the $109. It was well out of warranty. I dont think that was too much, but is if their cameras are leaking beyond their stated abilities. Thus my concern.
Once water is inside i would not attempt to turn it on though the temptation is great. I think i also fried the $50 battery on the last episode. Open the camera and let a fan blow across it for 2 or 3 days to be safe.
Lance had water creeping in also. Others with Oylumpus speak up, but only if you are immersing regularily. It dont count when your above water!
Watch those seals, with dry hands and good glasses or eyes. I suspect water was getting in somewhere else but how do you really know?
I think the silicone skin would somewhat help seal it, and also deflect the rushing water while in rapids chasing Tangerines.
I presume you have an Olympus as well Nate?

#10 Guest_jim graham_*

Guest_jim graham_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

According to the manual you need to replace the seals annually.

#11 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

I have a two year old Olympus Stylus 850 SW. I don't submerse my camera as often as some other NANFAns do, but it always rides in my shorts pocket while I wade. I'd say the Olympus waterproof cameras are good entry level waterproof cameras. Mine is also shock and cold resistant. I've dropped it and used it outdoors in winter several times.

#12 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:52 PM

I have a Stylus 6000 too. I picked it up on Amazon, it was a refurb so it was almost 1/2 price. It takes very nice underwater pictures but it is kind of slow. My brother has the 8000 which is good to 20 or 30 feet I forget which plus he bought the case for it.

Here's one of my favorite underwater pictures

Posted Image

#13 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

Nice pic!

Brian

#14 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

its was mentioned to get a silicone "skin", but I haven't found any listed under accessories on any site... can someone point me in the correct direction.

#15 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

its was mentioned to get a silicone "skin", but I haven't found any listed under accessories on any site... can someone point me in the correct direction.

Silicone Skins are made by the camera's manufacturer, in my case Oylmpus. The skins are designed to fit particlar models, unfortunately my model does not have a skin available. A skin just provides a bonus level of protection. Consult your manufacturer.

#16 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

i just received my Stylus 790 SW back from Olympus for the second repair. It seems to work with a quick run through but i still have worries and concerns. Though many elements had been replaced on the first repair, which was a couple months ago, after about the 6th day long snorkel the camera leaked and shorted out again, so i sent it back about 3 weeks ago. The first repair warranty covered this 2nd repair but they did not communicate anything via email or return packaging as to the cause or what they replaced so i dont know anything. ? Olympus does not respond to direct questions, this has been my frustrating repair experience and their website is very clunky when ordering or dealing with various issues.

I dont know where its leaking and there is no way of me telling. I do know you need to be very careful with the seals. I carry and use a soft toothbrush to gentle brush away the seals and hatches. I look at these carefully and ensure the hatches "click" securely when closing.

My backup UW camera is also an Olympus that uses the same batteries, charger and cords, it is a "Olympus Stylus Water" that i bought at Walmart for $110 a few months ago. I have stopped at 2 or 3 Walmarts in the last couple weeks and see them offered for about $150. though i think they will offer a closeout discount if you inquire. I have had good success with that camera in the last 7 days of travel and shot a lot of jpgs and video of Tangerines, Logperch and Teenagers jumping off bridges. It is a good introductory model and may fit within some of your budgets.

It did leak about 2 weeks ago, but has not since. I am trying to be very, very careful with it. This camera had the silicone skin on at the time it leaked so that certainly did not help, but i do like the idea of an extra layer of protection.

Im still having problems getting the camera to do as i wish. Still refining techniques. Im deleting far to many pictures for lack of crisp focus.

These 2 turned out pretty good tho, above and below. The 3rd lacks the crisp focus i desire.

Attached Files

Edited by Casper, 28 July 2010 - 08:15 PM.

#17 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

I have an Olympus Stylus Tough 6000, I like it so far, I havent had many opprutunities to use it underwater yet, however I did get this today out of 37 pictures (i was out fishing and noticed them right near my feet):
Posted Image
Sooner or later I will go out for a snorkel and really use this thing

#18 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

This topic is two years old now. Do you all have any suggestions for inexpensive yet still high quality underwater cameras that have come out in the past two years?

#19 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

I got a Pentax WG-1 for myself for christmas. I haven't gotten to mess with it a whole lot underwater yet, but last month I went collecting in NC and got this shot. Seems like a pretty awesome camera so far. This was my first session underwater so the settings weren't dialed in as best they could probably, and I took this looking at the screen through a rippled surface, so I'd say it did well.

Attached Files

#20 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Has anyone picked up the waterproof Nikons yet?

http://www.nikonusa....LPIX-AW100.html

I'm interested to see how the macro compares. Instead of buying new glass to celebrate graduation, I'm thinking about getting a pocket waterproof camera as a backup when I have housing issues.

Todd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users