Older model Odell Aquarium

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davidj5491_*

Guest_davidj5491_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

I've got an older model Odell 55 gallon that was given to me by a friend. I've had it for quite some time, and was fianlly about to set this thing up. I started reading up on it though, and now I can't decide. I can't really find a solid answer to whether or not it has tempered glass. Basically, I just want to make sure this thing is plenty sturdy before I set it up in my living room. Anyone have any input/experience with these tanks? Thanks!

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

I have no personal knowledge on the subject, but I did find this: link. The last post is from someone who says he worked for Odell, and that they did not use tempered glass. I must say I've never had a tank, tempered or not, break from normal use. I would suggest replacing the interior sealant if the tank has been sitting dry for a while.

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

Somebody told me that tempered glass will show rainbow patterns if you look at it through polarized glasses, moving them around. Haven't tried this myself. But tempered or not shouldn't matter. Condition of the sealant DOES matter. It may still be OK, even 30-ish years old. Fill'er up with water only, and watch carefully for leaks. That's less work than resealing.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

Ditto what Gerald said, except to say that ODell tanks are top quality. The glass is not going to break as long as you have a level stand for the tank. The seals may or may not still be good, but I'm betting they are good.

#5 Guest_Lotsapetsgarfhts_*

Guest_Lotsapetsgarfhts_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

Usually any 55 gallon aquarium made with tempered glass have a center support in the plastic frames. The older models did not. The older aquariums were also heavier because they used thicker glass. When they switched to tempered glass they went thinner and added the center support to the plastic frames to keep the glass from bowing. Now if it has the center support, make sure it is not cracked before filling it up and never ever use it to help lift the aquarium. If you do one of two things could happen, the frame could come off and the tank will drop or the center support will break or crack and when you fill it with water the tank could bow and break.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users