My 75 gallon community setup

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

I don't plan on adding any fish to this tank anytime soon. I have some baby Eastern Mudminnows that may go into it but they are fine in my 10 gallon for now

Native Fish

4 baby Bluegill Sunfish

4 Banded Killifish 2 adult 2 juvenile

3 Swallowtail Shiners

2 Eastern Mudminnow

1 Procambarus acutus(White River crayfish)

2 Orconectes virilis(Virile crayfish)

Non Native Fish
1 common Pleco

3 Clown Loaches

1 Cherax Zebra( Zebra yabby,Australian crayfish)

The non natives are leftovers from when I kept cichlids I like them but if the tank gets too crowded as the Bluegills grow up I have a lfs that will take them. The Mudminnows are a recent addition , I caught them this past weekend but they seem to be adjusting well.The sunfish,minnows and killifish get along just fine, the largest Bluegill does chase some of the other fish around but it's not serious. The bigger of the 3 crayfish does not seem to be a fisher crayfish it doesn't chase the fish around. The other 2 natives are fairly young so I don't know if they will turn into hunters or not.

The Bluegills are going be the centerpiece of the tank so they are the primary fish. I like the minnows and killifish as well so I'm hoping to keep this setup for a while.

Any critiques are welcome, I'm slightly worried about over crowding with the pleco and loaches but that's an easily solvable problem.

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

Sounds like a nice tank, but keep a count on your minnows and killies. The bluegills and crayfish are potential killers.

#3 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

Yeah I have a feeling that by this time next year I may be short a few minnows.I caught 10 or so tiny fish fry a couple of weeks ago. The Bluegills wolfed them down in a matter of minutes. The largest Bluegill is only an inch and half long so the minnows are safe for now. The 2 smaller killifish may be in danger though if they don't start growing a little faster. I don't mind a little predation it's to be expected.

A couple of years ago I bought 2 small Raphael catfish,very pretty little fish. Well one of my crays turned them into a meal at $7.99 per fish. I learned from that experience. If I can't replace it cheaply and/or easily I don't put it in a tank with crayfish.

#4 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

Might try some plants to protect the fish

#5 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

I have the most ungreen thumb ever. I may have my wife try it since she is far better at growing plants then I am. I also have to worry worry about my crayfish since they are notorious plant eaters which one of my new crayfish has proven by eating the few plants I have in there now. I tried Naja grass grass but it didn't take very well and the crayfish are eating what's left now.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users