mixing species

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:57 AM

Can you keep more then one species of darter or dace together in the same tank? Ex. black nosed dace with red belly dace or candy darter with tesselated darter...ect.

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

Can you keep more then one species of darter or dace together in the same tank? Ex. black nosed dace with red belly dace or candy darter with tesselated darter...ect.

In my experience different species of dace and darters get alone fairly well. Though be careful that you use actual dace (in my area dace is a local name given to fallfish, a type of chub, which grow big enough to eat darters and dace species).

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

Yes, many darter keepers have more than one speciies in display tanks... they will typically partition off habitat with some chosing the high flow or the better cave or whatever... and many minnows are more than happy to school together (including most dace)
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

I concur. Keeping different species of darters and dace together is just fine. You can even keep darters with dace. Cool, huh?

Brian

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users