A step in the right direction

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:09 AM

This past week, Indiana initiated a 43,000 acre wetlands initiative in West Central Indiana, which includes my hometown of Terre Haute. This project will encompass over 94 river miles Of the Wabash River, starting in Montgomery County and include Vigo, and Sullivan Counties. The benefits will be many and varied and will create one of the largest continuous wildlife and waterfowl habitats in the Eastern half of the United States, and also provide a major boost to flood control in the areas concerned.

Mary McConnell, Indiana's Director for the Nature Conservancy describes the project as perhaps the most significant investment in conservation in this generation.

The funding for this and another project in Southeastern Indiana will total $31.5 million and is a joint investment with the U.S. Fish and wildlife service.

I feel the people of West Central Indiana, and our enviornment, will benefit from this effort in a tremendously positive way.

Edited by Jim, 16 June 2010 - 06:12 AM.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:06 AM

Yeah, I read announcements about the project's opening and it sounds good. I hope it works out as planned.

#3 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:51 PM

Me also, i know it probably has something involved that is a money maker for the state, but im always excited when i hear that ANYONE is doing Anything to make things hopefully better for our wildlife.

#4 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

This past week, Indiana initiated a 43,000 acre wetlands initiative in West Central Indiana, which includes my hometown of Terre Haute. This project will encompass over 94 river miles Of the Wabash River, starting in Montgomery County and include Vigo, and Sullivan Counties. The benefits will be many and varied and will create one of the largest continuous wildlife and waterfowl habitats in the Eastern half of the United States, and also provide a major boost to flood control in the areas concerned.

Mary McConnell, Indiana's Director for the Nature Conservancy describes the project as perhaps the most significant investment in conservation in this generation.

The funding for this and another project in Southeastern Indiana will total $31.5 million and is a joint investment with the U.S. Fish and wildlife service.

I feel the people of West Central Indiana, and our enviornment, will benefit from this effort in a tremendously positive way.

43,000 acre for $31.5 million sounds like a deal.

Edited by CATfishTONY, 16 June 2010 - 07:04 PM.

#5 Guest_bulrush_*

Guest_bulrush_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:39 AM

Are you saying they are going to make this area protected? Maybe add some trails and things like that?

#6 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

i havent seen all the details yet, but it will definitely be wildlife protected as i understand, and a major part will be wetlands, and waterfowl areas. I dont know exactly how i feel about allowing too much human encroachment anyway, as that usually means empty beer cans, and other eyesores everywhere. I know there will be lots of varied opinions on this but for my money if they strictly prohibit any human entry at all beyond folks doing legitimate studies of some nature i would definitely not begrudge our wildlife of those few acres of this earth that humans cant mess up.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:33 AM

I know there will be lots of varied opinions on this... strictly prohibit any human entry at all beyond folks doing legitimate studies

I wish my appreciation of nature would be considered legitimate, but I am likely not degreed enough to be legitimate... experiencing nature and respecting the it probably aren't legitimate enough... and if us little people can't experience it or enjoy it, why will we care about it enough to protect it... of course I'm sure that the goverment will know how to better manage stuff like this than just us non-legitimate used to be nature loving back when we could get into it people?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

I wish my appreciation of nature would be considered legitimate, but I am likely not degreed enough to be legitimate... experiencing nature and respecting the it probably aren't legitimate enough... and if us little people can't experience it or enjoy it, why will we care about it enough to protect it... of course I'm sure that the goverment will know how to better manage stuff like this than just us non-legitimate used to be nature loving back when we could get into it people?

I know exactly what you mean michael, and i didnt mean to group everyone in with the ones who choose to dis-respect our wildlife areas. I am by no stretch of the imagination degreed or experienced either, but it just seems a sad state that, in order to let the good folks in you have to open it up to those that dont care at all and have no respect for anything. and see the efforts of anyone to provide our wildlife with a nice place to be, as just another place to backup and dump their garbage. To me i guess its enough to just visualize a pristine place where nature can just be nature.

#9 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:17 AM

The reality is though that you cannot spend taxpayer dollars, especially that large an amount and exclude entry to taxpayers. You can restrict its use (e.g. no hunting/fishing) but not keep people out unless there is legitimate concern for personal safety like a Superfund clean-up site, etc.

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

I never saw anything about this project that they would be excluding all human access. They may well do in part what is typical in federal Wilderness areas, with roadless areas that can only be accessed by foot or boat. That usually reduces wear and tear right there, and certainly eliminates most destructive activities such as heavy trash dumping and the more mindless ATV riders.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users