Spottail Shiners and Golden Shiners?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

well I went out collecting today in hopes of spottails and tessellated darters... i think these are spottails and goldens...well i hope they are. i only found small ones.

caught in the QUINEBAUG RIVER Drainage

ill be posting a few different fish..

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This fish has the black bird parasite disease just so people know as to not be confused while IDing
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

im just hoping there arent any bridle shiners. they were suppose to have been absent where i was at

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by bumpylemon, 19 June 2010 - 03:58 PM.

#3 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

there were huge schools all together. alot of common suckers. im getting nervous that these may look like bridle shiners.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

so i just looked in my mass fishes book and it shows spottails are absent from the Quinebaug drainage. sooo hmmmmm im thinking these are bridle shiners....

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

They are not bridled, not even close.
Most look like fallfish.

#6 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

Here's a central Ma bridled. All the keys are visible in this pic.
Posted Image

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

Here's a central Ma bridled. All the keys are visible in this pic.
Posted Image

Thanks for posting that picture. Fallfish?I've caught plenty of those and they didn't look like ones that I've caught. Hmm most of these mouths turn up and the fish have a black line. Fallfish I've caught are usually always very silver large scales and a lil red in the tails. those fish i caught dont look like this

Posted Image

Edited by bumpylemon, 20 June 2010 - 11:26 AM.

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

Both Pimephales notatus and P. promelas, bluntnose and fathead minnows, have been introduced into Massachusetts. Check them out for matches.

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

Both Pimephales notatus and P. promelas, bluntnose and fathead minnows, have been introduced into Massachusetts. Check them out for matches.

ive caught fatheads in mass. thanks mike for that spot! but i have yet to catch the bluntnose. i do have bluntnose shiners in my other tanks that i collected in new york. if these are bluntnoses than thats a new species for me in the state!

#10 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

so is this the fathead?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

in hartwells book it doesnt have this location listed for the fatheads. neither is the place mike showed me either. so thats cool finding a spot all by myself. bluntnoses are also shown way further west than where i was at.

#11 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

the only thing these can be are white suckers. but whats with the 3 dark black skin pigmentations. this isnt the bird disease as these are in the skin not on the skin

Posted Image

do all juveniles have this? ive caught white suckers in a different drainage and they didnt have those blocthes.

#12 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

I have white suckers sometimes they have the spots sometimes they don't. They change all the time from spotted to molted to pale white.

#13 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

The minnows are definately Luxilus sp. cornutusmost likely? The tall scales on the side of the body with cresents...large eye... rounded mouth etc. The suckers are whites.

#14 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

Agree with darter1, most are Lux.cornutus, except that minnow over the rock with narrow black stripe.

The minnows are definately Luxilus sp. cornutusmost likely? The tall scales on the side of the body with cresents...large eye... rounded mouth etc. The suckers are whites.

#15 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

Agree with darter1, most are Lux.cornutus, except that minnow over the rock with narrow black stripe.

thanks guys. still need to ID the bridle shiner imposter.

#16 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

The one over the rock does look like it could be bridle.
Any better pics?
I remember the bridle had a yellowy straw color and the scales stood out real distinct. Hard to tell in the pic but looks more silvery and fine scaled.

#17 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:19 PM

Edited by bumpylemon, 21 June 2010 - 02:31 PM.
removed image

#18 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

here i was so excited that i caught spottails haha. darn it. ill snap some more pictures later today.

#19 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

I removed your image. There is no reason to post such a large non-cropped image.

#20 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

I removed your image. There is no reason to post such a large non-cropped image.

ok ill crop it.
Posted Image

is this better

Edited by bumpylemon, 21 June 2010 - 02:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users