Requiem for an Olympus 1030SW...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

You were a fine camera, despite your macro and exposure quirks. If it hadn't been for the failure of that one little o-ring on the data port, you might still be happily tucked in my field kit, waiting for the next cool fish to come along. Three years of being dragged through countless rivers, swamps, dents, dings, abrasion, and more airline miles than a point-n-shoot should have. I'm just bummed that of all the times to leak, why oh why (?!) did you pick the moment when I was trying to sneak up on a bunch of burn-your-eyes-out-hot male spotfin chubs that were sparring over a crevice, and which were totally oblivious to my presence? Another 30 seconds and I would have been inches away, and now your lens is forever clouded... Sniff, sniff.Attached File  P6240003.jpg   1.76MB   1 downloads

Anyone want to buy a slightly used camera, cheap?

#2 Guest_jim graham_*

Guest_jim graham_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

You would think that they could come up with sealed camera with some sort of induction/rf charging and a bluetooth thingie for data downloading??

#3 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

Mail it in. $100. like new except for your external and proud scarring. They also replaced my scratched monitor panel.
Jim was right on an earlier post, as i confirmed with an Olympus tech. Seals need replacing every year. I now leave my hatches open during storage which to my thinking allows them to seal better when they close.
3 years Dave may be time to move forward to a new model. Still $100 bucks is pretty sweet for all they did to mine.
Im back in business baby!

Pics from Conasauga Wednesday...

Attached Files

#4 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

Well at least newer camera should have more pixels...

Are these spotfin chubs natural ones or ones from breeding/release program growing up?

#5 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:17 PM

Mail it in. $100. like new except for your external and proud scarring. They also replaced my scratched monitor panel.
Jim was right on an earlier post, as i confirmed with an Olympus tech. Seals need replacing every year. I now leave my hatches open during storage which to my thinking allows them to seal better when they close.
3 years Dave may be time to move forward to a new model. Still $100 bucks is pretty sweet for all they did to mine.
Im back in business baby!

How long did it take them?

#6 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

Susan... repairs took about 2 weeks with premailing communications, etc. Olympus is difficult to deal with on some issues but the repair went smoothly and i was pleased.
Dave, i would likely buy your camera and accessories. The cables, charger and batterie(s) would all come in handy. Be sure and get the LED feature if you upgrade, it has proved very valuable on my outings.
Great distant shot on the electric Spotfins. The camera shorted out as you were closing in for the spawning crevase shot? Thats bad mojo. Emory?
Nice requieum for a valued tool.

#7 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

I'll send it in and see what the repair quote is... as much as I'd like a new camera, it doesn't make sense to junk it quite yet, even if it gets relegated to backup use. After a couple days in a bag of rice, it turns on and all functions appear to work, but the image is very cloudy from funk on the inside of the lens.

Spotfins were from a wild population in the Emory drainage, several miles away from the nearest bridge crossing. Probably the healthiest of the wild populations, from what I've seen, will be great if the translocated pops take off in the Tellico and Shoal Creek and reach similar densities! They're certainly spectacular fish, hope to try to get back up there soon with the video unit...

#8 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:25 PM

Two weeks is good! I love my Olympus. I found a great accessory for it before the North Carolina trip. It's a Gorillapod tripod. It's a little tripod with flexible legs that goes in the water along with my camera. It was great for steadying the camera in the river.

#9 Guest_JamesH_*

Guest_JamesH_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:42 PM

If you do end up getting a new camera you might look into the FUJIFILM - FinePix 12.2-Megapixel Digital Camera:
http://www.bestbuy.c...00627&cp=1&lp=1
We just got one for my wife and it is a great little camera. Water proof for 10 feet, impact restance for up to a meter give or take. So far it has managed to get into water twice and is still working great.

Two weeks is good! I love my Olympus. I found a great accessory for it before the North Carolina trip. It's a Gorillapod tripod. It's a little tripod with flexible legs that goes in the water along with my camera. It was great for steadying the camera in the river.

#10 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

FYI to all, I found this out from an acquiantance of mine that owns a dive shop. Many of the 'waterproof to 10 ft' are not meant to be in the water for continual periods of time, like for more than 45 minutes to an hour. It puts a lot of strain on the seals to hold up submerged for that long. There is a difference between taking a picture underwater and carrying your camera underwater for 3 hours while waiting for a shot. I keep my Olympus in a Pelican case, which happens to fit perfectly, when strapped to my wet suit for long floats.

I did just see two models of camera and one HD vid recorder that come with Ikelite housings that are 300 out of the box each. Will post links later, have to dig them out of email...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users