MIssissippi West

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

Bob Hrabrik hosted Justin Baker, Todd Crail, Ray Katula, Jeremy Monroe, Nick Proulx, Konrad Schmidt, and I earlier in the spring for a fish head outing.
Bob’s house was awesome....built in the side of a rock bluff overlooking Apple Creek. It had two basement levels, one with partial unaltered rock walls, and the other was like straight up batmans mancave. Awesome.

MO12.jpg

I’ve thought long and hard trying to wrap a story around this. We did so much over the week I’ve been unable to piece it all together in a smooth flowing fashion so I’m settling for highlights – I went to Missouri with friends and it was cool.

The first two days we sampled a couple sites a day.
The E. spectabile complex was amazing. Some so gaudy my eyes hurt. Each watershed was something new it seemed, brilliant fish.

Posted Image

Central Stoneroller (Campostoma anomalum)
Posted Image

Stippled Darter (Etheostoma punctulatum)
Posted Image

We chattered for a bit here over lunch, got the spread, and began fishing. I’m amazed at the amount of parks and access points in the area…finding accessible water is no chore.

Posted Image

Southern Red Bellied Dace (Chrosomus erythrogaster)
Posted Image

Gravel Chub (Erimystax x-punctata)
Posted Image

Meramec Saddled Darter (Etheostoma erythrozonum)
Male
Posted Image
Posted Image
Female
Posted Image

Fantail Darter (Etheostoma flabellare)
Posted Image

#2 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

Along the Mississippi, The alluvial plane was neat, reminded me of home. The species lineup changes just as abruptly as the topography. We went from Bleeding Shiners, Stonerollers, Hogsuckers, and Gilt Darters to Golden Topminnows, Banded Pygmy Sunfish, Ironcolor Shiners, and Spotted Gar.

Bob was tearing it up out there. Standing off to the side, I was exhausted just watching him go.
Picture 832.jpg

Picture 821.jpg

Todd and his first Spotted Gar.
Picture 824.jpg

#3 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

Back in the Ozarkian region, Jeremy Monroe arrived for day three and we suited up to begin phase two of the trip. The frigid April waters were swift, clear, and cold. These waters held beauty invisible from the surface. The remainder of the trip was insane.
Was a workout to witness the activity at our first destination but was entirely worth it. My wetsuit was slightly baggy and was thankful Jeremy offered his extra drysuit. It was like being in water but not really. I fell in love.

Posted Image

Gorgeous gilts were fluttering in the breeze, giant rainbows shimmering in the sunlight, and stonerollers doing their dancing. It was like watching Life on discovery, only in real life. Nature, in Real Life. I like it.

Posted Image

Gilt Darter (Percina evides)
Posted Image
Posted Image

As evening approached we dipped in a stream of smaller magnitude to reveal a party, rainbows, bandeds, and greensides all spawning. The rainbows were seriously hot after some tail. Watching their little sparring battles and chromatophores flashing continuously was absolutely amazing. We spent part of the next day here as well.

Jeremy Monroe
Posted Image

Rainbow Darter (Etheostoma caeruleum)
Posted Image
Picture 043.jpg
Posted Image
Posted Image

Longear Sunfish (Lepomis megalotis)
MO8.jpg

I was obsessed with these bleeding shiners, such an awesome fish. I previously thought Warpaints were cool.

Bleeding Shiner (Luxilus zonatus)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Todd caught this Striped Shiner. From measuring my arm it would be approaching 13 inches…
Picture 958.jpg

After some 5 days in good company, I had skipped enough class and reluctantly needed to return home.

Edited by natureman187, 25 June 2010 - 05:14 PM.

#4 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

wow some great pictures! that house is amazing. thats all id need in life along with my kid and wife... lucky.

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

Great photos Lance!

#6 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:17 PM

Wow!
Thanks!
I know, I'm a Baaaad man, but I couldn't help wondering how a 13 inch striped shiner would fight on 7X. :twisted: :cool2:

#7 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

Yeah Lance, Thats the way to do it. Ed and i wasted our early spring chasing non existent Dry Land Fish that were still hiding. We missed the rightious call!
Good pics, good words young Lance.

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

I'm always a sucker for lunker striped shiners like that one you photographed. I've only seen them that big once, in a surprisingly small spring system. Maybe you found a new state record(!).

#9 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:36 AM

Holy cats those are some nice looking fish. I think I would label that a successful trip!

#10 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

Yeah Lance, Thats the way to do it. Ed and i wasted our early spring chasing non existent Dry Land Fish that were still hiding. We missed the rightious call!
Good pics, good words young Lance.

Casper, we sure did miss you and Ed. Torn between hobbies.

Great photos Lance!

Thanks! I hope the rest of the gang chimes in with their perspectives, there was so much going on in the water and flowering on land. It was incredible.

Birdfoot Violet (Viola pedata)
Posted Image

Dutchman's Breeches (Dicentra cucullaria)
Posted Image

#11 Guest_XeevXwm_*

Guest_XeevXwm_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

beautiful!

#12 Guest_mywan_*

Guest_mywan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:57 AM

I must have a waterproof camera!!! I work hard trying to get good pics from above the water, not an easy feat. Then I see these and my pics are not good enough.

#13 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

The prices are coming down on the lower end ones and while my Olympus takes a decent picture underwater I'd love to get a nice high end model for shots like the ones above.

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

I think some of the color from that spectabile rubbed off on your hand!

Loved the chrysocephalus - that's why it's one of my favorite shiners.

#15 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

...I'd love to get a nice high end model for shots like the ones above.

Far from the truth! All underwater images in this post were taken with a point and shoot Olympus Stylus Tough 6000.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users