I Think I Got It!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

Caught In Massachusetts.

I took some quick pics with my camera and photo tank pond side....i finally think I'm going to get a minnow ID right...since ive never seen one in person thats pretty good. someone before said "when you see one you will know". well when i scooped this guy up i certainly knew it had to be a bridle. i wont give out location just because they are of special concern in this state.

Posted Image

Edited by bumpylemon, 30 June 2010 - 02:26 PM.

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

Looks just like the very few that I have caught here in VA.

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

I will agree that this looks like a bridle shiner. You are quite lucky as these are scarce to non-exitent in much of their range.

#4 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

Nice catch. Very lucky, they are very uncommon around here.

#5 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

its funny how you find a gem like this when you arent even trying. I had my son with me and we were just messing around trying to get a few target species for some members on here them boom this pops in my net.

#6 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

i meant to ask...why is it this fish is so rare? do they need a perfect habitat? pollution? everything ive read says that are pretty hardy.

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:30 PM

They suffer from extensive habitat rearrangement, and the introduction of exotic predators and competitors. Largemouth bass are a southeastern species, but of course exist in almost river, lake and pond now in eastern North America. New England rivers and lakes in particular are very different from what they would have looked like in, say, 1620.

#8 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

They suffer from extensive habitat rearrangement, and the introduction of exotic predators and competitors. Largemouth bass are a southeastern species, but of course exist in almost river, lake and pond now in eastern North America. New England rivers and lakes in particular are very different from what they would have looked like in, say, 1620.

but cant you say that about any shiner or dace up here?

#9 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

Some are more sensitive than others, obviously common shiners and golden shiners are fine. It depends on details of their reproductive biology, what foods they're best adapted to eat at what times of year, sensitivities to siltation or increased sunlight on waters, preferences for flowing waters of a certain type or not... basically a whole bunch of ways that their ecological niche can be changed in bad ways. The same basic thing has happened to longear sunfish in Massachusetts at the northern edge of their range, they've been disappearing as they have largely been displaced in streams by introduced bluegills and LMB.

#10 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:03 PM

interesting....are long ears present at all in mass anymore? i havent seen anything to suggest they are here.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users