Dumb question, but where can I catch small Carp in the Hampton Roads area?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:38 PM

I would like to have a small carp for my aquarium. Much to my disappointment, I cannot seem to catch a small carp in my area. I have tried in the lakes and ditches in my local (neighborhood) area. There are some more neighborhood ponds that I will try to catch them at, but I would like to have someone's help to guide me on what technique(s) to use, where to look, etc. I really want a juvenile carp for my native aquarium, as I would like to make it the centerpiece. All input is welcome and if I could get somebody (or some people) in the field to help me catch them, that would be more than very much appreciated.

#2 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:21 AM

I know nothing about the laws in Virginia however; I m 99% sure that would be illegal. If it is however here where I am I occasionally catch them in shallow medium-flowing sections of the Thames River.

#3 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:51 AM

I would like to have a small carp for my aquarium. Much to my disappointment, I cannot seem to catch a small carp in my area. I have tried in the lakes and ditches in my local (neighborhood) area. There are some more neighborhood ponds that I will try to catch them at, but I would like to have someone's help to guide me on what technique(s) to use, where to look, etc. I really want a juvenile carp for my native aquarium, as I would like to make it the centerpiece. All input is welcome and if I could get somebody (or some people) in the field to help me catch them, that would be more than very much appreciated.

Look in water about 1-2 feet deep with lot's of plants. Here in the Susquehanna, they are easy to find right now. However, speaking from experience I'd discourage you from doing this unless you intend to eventually kill the fish! Why kill it you ask? Because these things love to root in the gravel and sand. They will make a mess of your aquarium. Also, they do grow fairly fast so size may become an issue.

Oh one other thing? They are rather slimy (mucusy? Is that a word?) and smell quite bad. At least out of the water they do.

Dean

#4 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

Not quite sure shy you would want to make a large, destructive invasive species the centerpiece of your native tank, but to each their own. If you are unable to come up with a small one you could simply just go to a pet shop and select a brown, short-finned feeder goldfish. It won't get as large as an actual carp either.

#5 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

I know nothing about the laws in Virginia however; I m 99% sure that would be illegal. If it is however here where I am I occasionally catch them in shallow medium-flowing sections of the Thames River.

I isn't illegal seeing as the carp is considered a bait fish and not a game fish.

Not quite sure shy you would want to make a large, destructive invasive species the centerpiece of your native tank, but to each their own. If you are unable to come up with a small one you could simply just go to a pet shop and select a brown, short-finned feeder goldfish. It won't get as large as an actual carp either.

My reasoning behind this is that I've always had a fascination with the carp. I love catching them on a fly rod because they are such brutal opponents on light fly tackle, but I can't ever seem to catch one small enough to put in a tank (about 3-4 inches long).

#6 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:23 PM

[quote name='ShadowHunter679' date='01 July 2010 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1278021796' post='78577']
I isn't illegal seeing as the carp is considered a bait fish and not a game fish.

Ok; I'll trust you on that, they are highly invasive and usually have strict laws against their transportation. They will uproot plants and cause dismay in your aquarium. If you look around you could probably find some neat looking koi or aquarium carp. Best of luck with your search!

#7 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:08 PM

Ok; I'll trust you on that, they are highly invasive and usually have strict laws against their transportation. They will uproot plants and cause dismay in your aquarium. If you look around you could probably find some neat looking koi or aquarium carp. Best of luck with your search!

In Virginia it is considered just another minnow, so the legality of obtaining it is not an issue. I'm also not worried about it uprooting plants, seeing as it couldn't possibly do more damage than my bullheads have done in the past. Thanks for your input!

#8 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:21 PM

[quote name='donkeyman876' date='01 July 2010 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1278033781' post='78587']
[quote name='ShadowHunter679' date='01 July 2010 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1278021796' post='78577']

[/quote]

buying a koi is what i did when i wanted a small carp as it is one of the few fish in the state i haven't been able to catch. Sure they are not native and invasive, but in my state most of our native species are introduced invasives (although introduced from elsewhere in the US, not from overseas like carp are).

#9 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

I suppose if I can't catch one within the next couple of weeks, I will have to just breakdown and buy a brown goldfish or black koi <--(preferably). As much as I would like to have a "wild caught" specimen, a black koi would probably do better in my aquarium than a "wild caught" carp would. Thanks for all of the input guys and I will keep you posted on how the hunt goes!

#10 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:10 AM

Just wondering, what size tank and what other fish are going to be with it. This could be kinda cool.

#11 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:53 AM

You've never kept a goldfish?

#12 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

Just wondering, what size tank and what other fish are going to be with it. This could be kinda cool.

I was planning on keeping it in a 30-55 gallon tank with some sunfish and maybe a small bass. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what size tank i can 1) afford and 2) what will fit reasonably well in my house. I'm planning on buying the tank within the next week and hopefully have fish in it by the middle of the month.

You've never kept a goldfish?

Hasn't everyone kept goldfish? I just don't want something so run-of-the-mill as a regular old goldfish.

#13 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

Locally we catch naturalized goldfish that are bronze with a slight green iridescence. They might be more suitable for a 100 gallon or larger tank for life since I've caught goldfish in ponds over a foot and a few pounds I'd bet.
In any case....a goldfish at 5 or so pounds is a heck of a lot easier to house than a 50 pound common carp.

You do know this is a Native fish forum right?
I'm moving this to exotic discussion.

#14 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

[quote name='ShadowHunter679' date='02 July 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1278102344' post='78613']
I was planning on keeping it in a 30-55 gallon tank with some sunfish and maybe a small bass. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what size tank i can 1) afford and 2) what will fit reasonably well in my house. I'm planning on buying the tank within the next week and hopefully have fish in it by the middle of the month.

You will need something on the larger end of that scale. Just remember small fish will grow, be sure to keep room for growing.

#15 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

Did you ever find something for your aquarium?

#16 Guest_ShadowHunter679_*

Guest_ShadowHunter679_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:18 AM

No, the money that was going into my new tank ended up going into another kind of tank...I needed gas in my hot rod.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users