Sampling in a canal in Orlando

16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

Ok, my camera is just about dead because my wife loves Disney, but I was able to snap a few pictures of fish caught. So far on the trip I have sampled the following:

Red Jewel Cichlids
Mayan/Midas cichlids
Salvini cichlids
1x Frontosa (about 2")
Many pygmy killifish
several elassoma evergladei
couple elassoma zonatum
bluefin killie fish
redspotted sunfish
bluegill,
warmouth (I believe)
and then what I found today (sunfish needs to be ID'd...)
[attachment=10706:DSCN4785.JPG]
[attachment=10707:DSCN4786.JPG]
[attachment=10708:RSCN4798.JPG]
[attachment=10709:RSCN4797.JPG]

This has been fun, but I don't think I will be bringing anything back. It is weird catching cichlids lol.

#2 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

Green Sunfish is my guess. Love the gar!

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

Let me beat Martin to it: if it's unidentified by someone, you know it must be a green sunfish.

#4 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

this is driving me crazy... I thought it looked like a longear

#5 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

Its ear isn't long.

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:06 PM

Gar is a Longnosed if you care to know... Noticed nothing was mentioned about it except for the Pics. You should be able to find Platyrhincus (Florida gar) around there also..

Edited by Brooklamprey, 02 July 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#7 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:56 AM

Richard, I'm glad you chimed on the gar. It looked like longnosed to me too but I am not familiar with what Fl gar juvies look like. The snout on the bottom photo appeared to get broader the more posterior it went which is different from what I remembered of the longnosed juvies I get. I suppose it is angle more than anything. What differentiates the juvies of longnosed and FL? Snout length and width? Flank patterning?

For the sunfish, it appears to be a hybrid of sorts and I hate using the word. My guess would be warmouth x dollar as they are the two most abundant sunfish in the area other than bluegill and I don't see any bluegill. It has the flank patterning and mouth size of a warmouth and the cheek vermiculations and additional coloration of a dollar.

I'm really surprised got a lot of Leptolucania down there. Did you happen to get any photos of them?

#8 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

PM Sent

Edited by bumpylemon, 03 July 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#9 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

I'm really surprised got a lot of Leptolucania down there. Did you happen to get any photos of them?

I didn't have my camera/ don't have it much as my wife is taking disney pictures galore.

#10 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:32 PM

Richard, I'm glad you chimed on the gar. It looked like longnosed to me too but I am not familiar with what Fl gar juvies look like. The snout on the bottom photo appeared to get broader the more posterior it went which is different from what I remembered of the longnosed juvies I get. I suppose it is angle more than anything. What differentiates the juvies of longnosed and FL? Snout length and width? Flank patterning?

Dustin the differences in Juvi Platyrhincus and Osseus is admittedly small when at that stage. Also we have had some cases of Osseus out of Florida that have been less than typical. Atypical enough in fact that some effort to obtain these fish has been a project as of late. We really want to look at their genetics and Morphometrics compared to Midwest and Southern central Osseus.

Key thing that points me into calling this one a Longnosed rather than Florida is the upper flank coloration and the stripe through the Caudal. Also I can not really discern from the photos another key and more typical Platyrhincus trait and that is a dark stripe along the Dorsal and ventral side of the fish. Snout length and width at this size is a tough call as both are similar. All and all I still give this as a fish that more closely resembles an Osseus by the pics alone. With Detailed personal handling and examination there is still a chance that could be quickly switched to Platyrhincus.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

Let me beat Martin to it: if it's unidentified by someone

...or even if it HAS been identified!

#12 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

Cyanellus x gulosus [ducking] ;)

Todd

#13 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:33 AM

I guess that's as good a guess as any, Todd.

Cool gar, whatever he turns out to be.

I am surprised you found so many cichlids that far north, especially after this past winter. I didn't know that they had spread so far northward already.

#14 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

I'm leaving for Disney This weekend and you just gave me some ideas that are going to drive my wife crazy lol. She already knows I want to find a stream or 2 on the drive down to look for crayfish.

#15 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

Which resort are you staying at? We are Hopping from resort to resort at the momment. She wants to head back soon though (hope not but oh well...) Might be able to see you here lol.

#16 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

Which resort are you staying at? We are Hopping from resort to resort at the momment. She wants to head back soon though (hope not but oh well...) Might be able to see you here lol.

I'll be staying at the French Quarter and I'm leaving tonight. I'm sure you're gone already, too bad having someone to get in trouble with is always fun lol.

#17 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

We actually may have crossed paths. We left late sunday night. It would have been fun to meet up and I could show you all the lovely cichlids.. LOL.. Hope you enjoy your time there... remember, Disney is a Magical Place! (So magical you will find fish from almost every continent there *sigh*)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users