DIY Bucket filter for sump

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

This is a filter I built from a bucket to help quiet down the water splashing. The tank is a 55 gallon set-up as a riffle tank. Has a DIY overflow with 450 gph return pump.Here's the tankAttached File  004.JPG   362.45KB   1 downloads
This filter was very low cost since I already had everything at home. I started with a 1 gallon ice cream bucket. I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom and half way up the side.Attached File  012.JPG   347.43KB   1 downloads
I also had to cut a 1 inch hole in the lid for the inlet. I needed some sort of tray to hold filter floss. So I used the bottom of a hanging flower basket.Attached File  016.JPG   334.67KB   1 downloadsI then trimmed it to fit inside the bucket a few inches from the top.Attached File  017.JPG   324.1KB   1 downloads I cut the center out of it. Then used some crafting plastic sheets with the little squares.Attached File  018.JPG   341.96KB   1 downloadsAttached File  021.JPG   370.04KB   1 downloads
And cut them to fit over the hole. Now I have a filter to fit in my sump.Just fill the bottom of the bucket with your bio media. And fill the tray with filter floss.Attached File  022.JPG   337.76KB   1 downloads Then just put the lid on and put in in the sump with the down tube running through the top.Attached File  023.JPG   351.78KB   1 downloads If you need more bio media just fill the rest of your sump with it.

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

Excellent idea. I especially like the design used for the area to hold the filter floss. I would suggest rigging a way to hang the bucket(possibly from the handle) over the sump rather that setting it in the tank. This way you are getting proper wet/dry filtration and not submersing the biological filter media.

#3 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

Thanks,good idea on hanging it. I think I'll do that.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

Nice set up. Looks like you did your homework, I love innovative systems.They can be much cheaper, and more effective than many over the counter filters.

#5 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:44 PM

Cool!
Nice tank too BTW.

#6 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:40 AM

Keep in mind that filter floss over time will become clogged with bacterial mats and debris, which will make water back up and maybe overflow the bucket. You'll want to overbuild the hanging arrangement a fair amount to makesure it can hold the extra water weight a couple months from now.

#7 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

Keep in mind that filter floss over time will become clogged with bacterial mats and debris, which will make water back up and maybe overflow the bucket. You'll want to overbuild the hanging arrangement a fair amount to makesure it can hold the extra water weight a couple months from now.

I was thinking about that so I'm going to make legs out of pvc to put on bottom of bucket.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

Good post! Hopefully will get moved to the DIY section :twisted:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users