Striped shiners

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:20 AM

Does anyone have experience with Striped shiners, Luxilus chrysocephalus ? I've caught them as a child & now that I found out was it was I'm interested in their care. The hole I used to catch them in was under a small bridge below a riffle along with, creek chub, cutlip minnow, black nosed dace & long nosed dace. I'd catch them while fishing for trout & creek chubs on a # 10 eagle claw with worms.

found a good link about them in the wild.
My link

Edited by exasperatus2002, 16 July 2010 - 10:24 AM.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Striped shiners are easy, almost too easy, in many ways like creek chubs. They're not in the least picky about food and will do well even in substandard water conditions. Like creek chubs, they will also grow surprisingly large with time and become very good at eating anything much smaller than themselves. Breeding males become a beautiful lemonade pink color, but at that size they've probably already eaten most other shiners and dace in your aquarium. They would do well with same-sized sunfish.

#3 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

Do male [either grow up in the aquarium or wildcaught adult] color up in the aquarium, and to what extend? I asked this about 2 years ago but does anyone actually keeping them till they color up in the aquarium [not just getting tubercles]?

Edited by tricolor, 16 July 2010 - 02:21 PM.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

I never have. But I have some now in a 20 gal., and in a coupla years I hope to see what happens.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

I've never had 'em color up, but then I didn't have them on any kind of breeding regimen either. Those big, beautiful pink males are really nice.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users