Brine Shrimp Harvesting & Lighting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jcall565_*

Guest_jcall565_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

I am a research assistant at Lincoln University and I am currently conducting a study where I am using brine shrimp, but the problem I have is I just doubled the amount of brine shrimp per 20 liter plexy glass harvester, and the light source became insuffecient. I began using a construction grade light source but it omitted to much heat and consequently it overheated the brine shrimp. So my question is would it be worth it to invest in a different light source such as a blue full spectrum light?

#2 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:42 PM

I am a research assistant at Lincoln University and I am currently conducting a study where I am using brine shrimp, but the problem I have is I just doubled the amount of brine shrimp per 20 liter plexy glass harvester, and the light source became insuffecient. I began using a construction grade light source but it omitted to much heat and consequently it overheated the brine shrimp. So my question is would it be worth it to invest in a different light source such as a blue full spectrum light?

jcall565', Sorry i do not have the answer to your ?
but i would like to here how you have your tank set up.
here is a link to my notes of BS culture in the past.
i had bad luck and a poor hatch from some brands.

http://forum.nanfa.o...ine-shrimp-log/

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:42 PM

Jon, you need to specify how much brine shrimp cysts (grams) are used per batch. Are you simply after hatch or growth of nauplii?

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

How about 3 or 4 cheap fluorescent under-cabinet lamps or bright-sticks arranged vertically around the container? The ballasts get warm but they wont radiate much heat toward the container. That's assuming light is the problem. If your shrimp density is too high or water quality is not good, more light wont help.

#5 Guest_jcall565_*

Guest_jcall565_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Jon, you need to specify how much brine shrimp cysts (grams) are used per batch. Are you simply after hatch or growth of nauplii?

I am only looking to hatch the brine shrimp, and I am using 40g of brine shrimp per hatcher.

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

Gerald,

Since the last post we have setup brine shrimp hatchery unit so that two double bulb flouresent units in place behind hatchers. Has solved much of heat problem but not all. Light penetration of proper wave-length may be our limitiation. We are using the cheapest bulbs we could get. Supplementing light increases hatch rate when cysts weight in range of 5 to 20 g per hatcher. We want to push the amount of brine shrimp cysts run per batch and suspect lighting is limitation. I have gotten good hatch up to 80 g of cysts per hatcher if hatcher surrounded by lights but this can only be done during winter months when heat production works in our favor. Surrounding hatchers with lights practical only with a couple hatchers running. We are running 9 hatchers and table space will not allow more lights. We are exploring the purchase of more expensive bulbs thinking that spectrum of output might affect hatch rate as well. We are wondering what types of others have found to be affective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users