parthenogenetic decapod

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

what will the final outcome of the new species be?
will she/them take over rusty's title?
only time will tell.

the first parthenogenetic decapod crustacean.

http://www3.intersci...ETRY=1&SRETRY=0

#2 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

A little more info.

Ontogeny of the Marmorkrebs (Marbled Crayfish): a

Parthenogenetic Crayfish With Unknown Origin and

Phylogenetic Position

Attached Files

#3 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

That is very interesting and very disturbing. The first link didn't work but I read the PDF and did my own search and got a fair bit of information. I read that they are invading everywhere fro Madagascar to German to North America. I just wonder where they came from and hope they don't turn into a 'Global Invasive Species.'

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:07 PM

That is very interesting and very disturbing. The first link didn't work but I read the PDF and did my own search and got a fair bit of information. I read that they are invading everywhere fro Madagascar to German to North America. I just wonder where they came from and hope they don't turn into a 'Global Invasive Species.'

interesting, I have recently read from a not so reputable source, that there are no instances of them breeding in the wild in the US. Do you have a link that shows otherwise? I will do some research myself as well. They sure have some negative potential.

I also have to wonder if these are the only crays to reproduce this way? Could it happen sporadically in other species under the right circumstances, and just fly under the radar?

Edited by Skipjack, 21 July 2010 - 11:15 PM.

#5 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

I've been keeping them for a couple years, and I've often thought they could be very bad if one got loose, because it would only take one. I guess it would matter how well they would compete with the local crayfish. They aren't very aggressive.

#6 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

I've been keeping them for a couple years, and I've often thought they could be very bad if one got loose, because it would only take one. I guess it would matter how well they would compete with the local crayfish. They aren't very aggressive.

Sorry the first link does not work it was up and fine for weeks,now one must be a member.

so Susan you think O rusticus old rusty would claw his way to the top with this new invasive?
this species is winning in other areas of our land.

#7 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

Sorry the first link does not work it was up and fine for weeks,now one must be a member.

so Susan you think O rusticus old rusty would claw his way to the top with this new invasive?
this species is winning in other areas of our land.

I don't know, Old Rusty is bigger and badder! I hope we don't have to find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users