South Carolina Shiner ID help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_moxostoma_*

Guest_moxostoma_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

New to South Carolina and I got these out of the Broad River, near Columbia. I'm pretty sure the first one (first two pictures) is a whitefin shiner, Cyprinella nivea. Please confirm or contest my ID if you are confident you know.

Any ideas on the third/fourth picture fish (both pics are of the same fish)??? Smaller (female?) whitefin shiner, or something else? It looks more slender to me, and has a conspicuous spot on near the caudal base. I was thinking spottail shiner maybe??? Help!

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:05 AM

The first shiner is definitely a whitefin, C. nivea. I shocked the Congaree just below the Broad there and got tons of these a couple years ago. The second is more difficult. Our spottail shiner is very different from the one found in most of the rest of the country and the fish in the picture does look similar. There is also a chance of this being a coastal shiner with the trangular caudal wedge thougg given the habitat of that area spottail is much more likely. I would be happy to go out with you next time and help with the ID's on these guys. They are so much easier in hand. I work in Columbia and live in Lexington so it would be easy for me to sneak away.

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

I agree with Dustin (always a safe bet). Second fish could be either spottail or coastal shiner, but I'd lean more toward spottail based on the mouth, oval eye, and pale color. Coastal shiners I see in NC usually have more pigment that doesn't fade out that much on the lips, lateral stripe, and anal fin base. Of course a hook may change all that.

#4 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:14 AM

spottail - see some dashes along lateral line.

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

I think both spottail and coastal can have black dashes along lateral line (and many other Notropis).
For example, see coastal shiner photo on page 162 in Freshwater Fishes of South Carolina by Rohde et al. 2009.
|;>)

spottail - see some dashes along lateral line.

#6 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:27 PM

I think both spottail and coastal can have black dashes along lateral line (and many other Notropis).
For example, see coastal shiner photo on page 162 in Freshwater Fishes of South Carolina by Rohde et al. 2009.
|;>)

busted!

#7 Guest_moxostoma_*

Guest_moxostoma_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

Ok, so I went back and got a half dozen or so that looked just like this one. Now these look like textbook spottail shiners to me, but they also look different than the fish in question, posted above...

Attached Files

#8 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

That is definitely a spottail. It appears to be the same fish as before just with its mouth closed and less reflection.

#9 Guest_moxostoma_*

Guest_moxostoma_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:48 AM

That is definitely a spottail. It appears to be the same fish as before just with its mouth closed and less reflection.

Thanks for the help, guys!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users