stocking a 90 gal?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_phatfish_*

Guest_phatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:15 AM

i have been thinking of selling my jack dempsey pair and changeing the tank to native minnows of the cedar river drainage. i was thinking maybe 15 srbd,10 redfin shiners,5 hornyheadchubs,5 central stone rollers,maybe a group of one other small minnow, and some mudd minnows. would this work? its fitered by a bio wheel 400 and a canister filter.

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:40 AM

Hey Phatfish,

That stocking sounds pretty good to me, with a couple of cautions. The redbelly dace are by far the smallest fish in that tank and may have difficulty competing for food with the bigger minnows. The mudminnows may also have trouble; they are not aggressive eaters compared to minnows and will require special attention; also, they don't like much current. The dace will probably be all right, just keep an eye on them to be sure they're eating and not being bullied too much. I would suggest setting up a separate small, planted tank for the mudminnows if you really want to keep them.

I have a big tank with mixed large minnows, including stonerollers and close cousins of your redfins and hornyheads. There are also several species of sunfish in the tank; the big minnows easily hold their own with the sunnies. So there's another option for you.

By the way, what's your location? There's more than one Cedar River.

#3 Guest_phatfish_*

Guest_phatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:12 AM

minnesota wehave the headwaters portion of the cedar iowa gets the rest. i have a 20 gallon with some darters and dace right now that i was going to leave just the darters in. do you think maybe mudminnows in there?

#4 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:22 AM

I have seen mudminnows eat fish almost the same size as themselves- just so you know. I generally find them pretty peaceful, but....

#5 Guest_phatfish_*

Guest_phatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:44 AM

alright i will leave those out and add another shinner.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users