new and need help

22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_millerjordan60_*

Guest_millerjordan60_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

i have a 30 gallon and a 10 gallon tank and was wondering what could i put in the tanks i wanted to do a community tank at first but now i am waffling between community and predator. some one help me decide what fish/plants for both tanks. i want to use all local fish and plants from the Pine Island/Rochester MN area.

any info helps thanks

#2 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

You of course have many fish to chose from.
In your studies of local fish, what most interests you?
I think this is the best place to start.

#3 Guest_millerjordan60_*

Guest_millerjordan60_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:42 PM

well for the community fish i like the darter. (i tried looking for them today in the Zumbro river and had no luck after 4 hours)
and for predator realistically i would say a type of sun fish

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

As it stands right now, you are too undecided for us to really coach you. Spend some time searching the forum, get a book or two. Learn what is actually in your local waters, and then make decisions on what you should keep. Darter, and sunfish are really pretty vague terms once you realize how many species there actually are. This is a good place to start. http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0395910919

#5 Guest_millerjordan60_*

Guest_millerjordan60_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

As it stands right now, you are too undecided for us to really coach you. Spend some time searching the forum, get a book or two. Learn what is actually in your local waters, and then make decisions on what you should keep. Darter, and sunfish are really pretty vague terms once you realize how many species there actually are. This is a good place to start. http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0395910919

i meet a guy today when i was looking for fish and he said that we have green sunfish, bluegill, and pumkinseed. which of these could work?
and he wasn't sure what kind of darter he has seen but he said the looked green orange and red.

i caught a few minnows but i don't know how to ID them.

hopefully that is a little more specific.

#6 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

I'm not trying to be rude here Miller, but you really need to take some time to do a few things before you take fish home. A good place to start is our own forum guidelines. I might recommend your next stop include researching the laws for your state in regards to collecting and keeping fish at home. This is a friendly forum but we have many rules since much of our activity requires a great amount of responsibility.

#7 Guest_millerjordan60_*

Guest_millerjordan60_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:26 AM

well from my understanding Sunfish are out for me, but after doing some research i have decided to do a community darter (western sand darter,Blackside darter, and Banded darter)with minnows but i have no idea how to ID minnows so i guess i will see what i can find.

#8 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:15 AM

Here are a few good links for you to read.
and a link to fish to avoid in your state.

http://www.dnr.state...=doFilterSearch

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/index.html
http://www.associate...nesota_fish.htm

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:17 AM

well from my understanding Sunfish are out for me, but after doing some research i have decided to do a community darter (western sand darter,Blackside darter, and Banded darter)with minnows but i have no idea how to ID minnows so i guess i will see what i can find.

Fishes of Wisconsin is available free on-line (just google it and you can get the whole book as pdfs) I know that Wisconsin is not the same as Minnesota (I mean I am from the south, but I know a a little northern geography) but should have some significant overlap in fishes. If you are going to do this, you might as well do it well, right. So get the book (heck I have a dozen or more "fishes of xxx" books, and normally pay for them, you have the chance to get a great one for free) and study up on your local fish. That's half the fun! And I really like the idea of starting off with just the fishes that are local to you... I have several aquariums and always try to keep at least one that represents "my own backyard."
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_phatfish_*

Guest_phatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

The zumbro has a lot of cool fish in it. Rainbow darters,fantails,banded long pearch to name a few, minnows i find are dace several speices and chubs are the majority.thats a good healthy river be careful on th north branch as there are trout there, i do not beleave it is designated but it is a wild population so in the fall do not kick riffles. What i did was google fishes of minnesota and they have a list that is indeepth even has fish of speicle status or protected fish,will comon names as well as latin. the internet is agreat resores for info.
good luck and have fun.

#11 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

you say you that don't know how to ID your fish..

step 1...take a picture and compare it to pics of fish found in your drainages.

step 2 if that fails to provide an answer post it under the ID section here...along with drainage you caught it in.

step 3...if that fails...which i hardly doubt, release the fish when you catch them and never keep them

i will suggest not jumping at the first fish you hear about. aka green sunfish, bluegill, or pumpkinseed. once you do more research you will see that there are many other species that are more colorful, more friendly or just better overall fish (everyone has their own tastes).

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

Just for starters, you say you have a 10g AND a 30g aquarium? Well, that makes your decision simple. 10g = community tank. 30g = predator (small) tank.

#13 Guest_millerjordan60_*

Guest_millerjordan60_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

thanks for all of the info. i will continue to do some research and upload pictures after i get some fish.

#14 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:47 PM

Um...don't forget to read the law before you go fishing or take fish home! Can any Minnesotans give a quick run-down of the law?

#15 Guest_millerjordan60_*

Guest_millerjordan60_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:44 PM

Um...don't forget to read the law before you go fishing or take fish home! Can any Minnesotans give a quick run-down of the law?

i read it and it said that you need a license and it cant be any sport fish.
i have a license but i am a bit in the dark on whats considered a sport fish. would any kind of Sunfish be in this group?

#16 Guest_MWBradshaw_*

Guest_MWBradshaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

The law states that you cannot take any sport fish from a body of water for use in an aquarium. A sport fish is Sunfish (green, pumpkinseed, bluegill, etc.), Bass, Walleye, Perch, Crappie, just for a few of the more commonly sought after fish. If you are under the age of 16 however, you can keep fish for aquariums (never understood that in the law, I guess because after the age of 16 you need a license to fish?). It says nothing about keeping rough fish for aquarium use. And I cannot comment on minnows and darters, not sure about the laws for trapping your own bait either.

#17 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

Thanks MW, I appreciate that you took the time to post that information.
Miller, it seems you have some more investigation before you start up a tank.
Please take the time to closely look at the law before you take fish.

#18 Guest_phatfish_*

Guest_phatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:11 AM

you can trap your own minnows with dip net sein, or trap i use a dipnet. there are some water ways that are infected with invasives i.e spinny water flies, round gobie,zebra musciles,millfoil these waters you cant collect from. you can keep minnows for your own use. darters are not regulated but dont over harvest. the booklet from dnr will name all rags.

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

If you are really interested in Sunfish, purchasing a species or two from one of our vendors, might keep you legal. But again the laws can be difficult to interpret and if purchasing sunfish is legal for you, I would recommend keeping records of your purchase just in case you were ever questioned. Also in Many states, fish and game laws do not apply to private ponds, so you might be able to catch sunfish from a farm pond and legally keep them. Check that angle out.

#20 Guest_phatfish_*

Guest_phatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

fish and pets sells natives to. so you can check them out at barlow plaza. regs are licensed anglers may take minnows or leeches for there own use with dip nets, traps or seines.
minnows taken a cylindrical trap from waters infested with eurasian millfoil may only be used for fishing where taken. takeing of bait from other infested waters and useing them is unlawfull. seines may not be over 25 feet long or more than 148 meshes deep with 1/4 inch bar measure, or more than 197 meshes deep with 3/16 inch bar measure.
Traps used on non infested waters may not exceed a width and length of 30" hight may not exceed 15" the diameter or width of the opening may not exceed 1.5" and mesh size may not exceed 1/5" bar measure.traps must have waterproof tag with name and address of owner.
It is unlawfull to use throw nets.
A dnr permit is required to posses more than 24 dozen minnows to sell, export or import; or to take minnows from designated trout waters.
can not dump unwanted bait in the water.
all streams and associated tributaries and connected waters of the missouri river watershed in lincoln,pipestone or nobles counties that lie south of highway 14 to the iowa border and west of hyw 59 to the southdakota are closed to minnow harvest.

thats the minnow regs. also the zumbro is listed as infested with zebra mussels. so if you can find a tributarie that you think you can collect in then i would do it there as it seems to be
illeagle to collect the zumbro. hope this helps

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users