Another Trip

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

Went on a quick trip today after work. I live within 5-10 minutes of the Portage River in Northwestern Ohio. I hopped into a small tributary to the Portage River just outside the town of Portage, OH yesterday. Here's what we found;
  • Fathead Minnow (Pimephales promelas)
  • Bluntnose Minnow (Pimephales notatus)
  • Creek Chub (Semotilus atromaculatus)
  • Goldfish (Carassius auratus)
  • Central Stoneroller Minnow (Campostoma anomalum)
  • Blackstripe Topminnow (Fundulus notatus)
  • Rock Bass (Ambloplites rupestris)
  • Green Sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus)
  • Johnny Darter (Etheostoma nigrum)
  • Common Shiner (Luxilus cornutus)
The small tributary was not frozen surprisingly. There was very little flow at all. There were a few bridges along the tributary that had pools at both ends of them, so that's where most of the sampling came from. I did keep one Goldfish to add to my Ohio tank because they are not represented in my aquarium at all. I was surprised with the numbers of Fathead Minnow. There were more Fathead Minnow here than any other fish. Most of them were large adults too (well, large for Fatheads anyways). As far as the Goldfish goes too, it is more of a museum piece (like how Skipjack had the carp...ha). And to show that I haven't gone crazy for Goldfish, here's one of my favorite pictures of a Goldfish meeting it's demise...

Posted Image

That's what happens when a Goldfish gets out of line.

-Nate

#2 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:52 PM

I'm going to have to go up into yankee land and get a few of them blackstripe's

#3 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:01 PM

I'm going to have to go up into yankee land and get a few of them blackstripe's

They aren't supposed to exist anywhere near New England.

#4 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:07 PM

NateTessler13 stated that he/she was in ohio and ohio to me is considered yankee land

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:16 PM

NateTessler13 stated that he/she was in ohio and ohio to me is considered yankee land

Who's a yankee? It's like this: the rest of the world sees all Americans as yankees; most Americans say that the yankees are in the Northeast; most Northeasterners say that the only yankees are in New England; most New Englanders say that the only yankees are in Vermont; and people in Vermont say that the only real yankees are those who eat pie for breakfast.

With all that, you can find blackstripe topminnows in Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi without having to deal with any kind of yankee. Certainly in north 'bama it's easy to find blackspotted topminnows, not so very different.

#6 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:54 AM

Who's a yankee? It's like this: the rest of the world sees all Americans as yankees; most Americans say that the yankees are in the Northeast; most Northeasterners say that the only yankees are in New England; most New Englanders say that the only yankees are in Vermont; and people in Vermont say that the only real yankees are those who eat pie for breakfast.

Haha! :razz:

#7 Guest_amystours_*

Guest_amystours_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

This is a little off-topic, but I'll tell ya a secret on how to tell if someone is a Yankee or not....

Ask them if they would like something to drink, and see what he says....this only works for soft drinks, far as I know. Anybody from the Deep South will call it a Coke, regardless of whether it's a Diet Coke, Dr. Pepper, whatever, it's all still a "Coke". You get a little farther north, then they start calling them "sodas", same thing, doesn't matter what kind, a "Soda". Then you get those guys WAYYYY up there who like to say "pop". Okay, a "pop". Hmmm.... lol

This won't work here on this particular forum, but we used to see what people called "white crappie". Down here, they are ALL"white perch", even though it's not really a perch. White, black, purple, orange, whatever. If someone said "crappie", and they were not educated about fish taxonomy or whatnot, someone was gonna get tickled and would ask what the hell a crappie is!! Like I said, won't work here!!!

Last, but not least, another way to tell a Yankee: See if he (she) puts salt and pepper on their grits or sugar... if it's salt and pepper, definitely from the South. Sugar <shudder> <ick>, yep, little farther North....then the real Yankee will say "What's a grit?".

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:54 PM

....then the real Yankee will say "What's a grit?".

Okay, then, Amy. I guess that makes me a Yankee. Never in my life have I seen a grit. Rumor has it even rebs don't eat them; they just push them on gullible northern tourists. Another thing I proudly don't eat is scrapple. What a disgusting concept! To get back on topic, it might make suitable fish food. But not people food!

I'll give you rebs credit for barbecue. Whenever I'm in the South, I have to have barbecue.

No offense, but was that he/she thing really necessary? It's not just that I hate political correctness, but have you ever met a girl named Nate? Do they have girls named Nate in rebel-land?

#9 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:46 AM

Good to see this trip report brought up important topics

#10 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:11 PM

I love your photo, Nate, of the pickerel eating the goldfish. Man, is that goldfish big for the pickerel. It makes you wonder if anything is safe being kept with a pickerel! It is certainly a worthy use for a goldfish, though.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users