What am I holding?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

Posted Image
Caught in the Thames River here in Ingersoll in a few feet of quick flowing water. The top of the fish was very dark grey/black and the bottom half was silver. I apologize for the poor quality photo, I'll try to post more in the morning if catch another one.

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:45 PM

I do not know if they are in the Thames, but from the rounded body shape and blue reflection it looks like a common shiner to me, a big one.

#3 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

Posted Image
Caught in the Thames River here in Ingersoll in a few feet of quick flowing water. The top of the fish was very dark grey/black and the bottom half was silver. I apologize for the poor quality photo, I'll try to post more in the morning if catch another one.

i would say its a male Striped Shiner Luxilus chrysocephalus and a good sized one at that.

Edited by CATfishTONY, 08 August 2010 - 01:48 PM.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

The above ID's are good suggestions and one of them is correct. What Luxilus do you have in your area? Commons reach farther into Canada than Striped. They both look very similar in a poor quality photo, so it needs to boil down to range. My guess would be common.

#5 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:39 PM

Both striped and common are in my area and are in the Thames. Thanks guys. I've seen them both before but never with such dark colour at the top, I think it's a common. I'll try to get a better photo for you guys.

Edited by donkeyman876, 08 August 2010 - 03:43 PM.

#6 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

by the looks of the scale size between the head and the dorsal fin, they look relatively large, which would mean striped shiner. Then again the angle of that area isnt that good either in the pic, so i may be judging the wrong scales.

#7 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

While I can't help you with that specific fish, Todd Crail and Dave Neely have helped me distinguish between the two (Striped and Common) by looking at nape scales. Common Shiners seem to have crowded, smaller nape scales while Striped have more organized and larger scales on their nape. This has been very helpful since I live in an intergrade zone of the two and the usual book traits , dorsal stripes that converge vs. those that stay separate, can be rather mixed in my local experience.

#8 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

Uland I had some trubble too, looking at the stripes on top.
I caught these two, the bigger one was 10" long!
I should have put a quarter next to it.

I was not sure if they were common or striped.

Out of a unnamed creek/ditch in Koseosko County Indiana, by North Webster.

Attached Files

#9 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

10"?!? Thought I was only one who caught a 11" male common shiner few years. I regretted it for release it, when it can make a fine wall mount...

#10 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

Mike, I have a photo of each I'll post below but both are pretty close to the integrade zone in Illinois.
Somewhere, Todd posted a comparative example that to my memory might serve this purpose better.
Common Shiner:
Posted Image

Striped shiner:
Posted Image

Usually in my area the stripes either clearly converge to form a "V" or they don't. The problem is, everything else can be mixed up from one fish to another.
I hope this helps.

Edited by Uland, 09 August 2010 - 05:02 PM.

#11 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

To get an idea of how large mine is, my hand is 9" long from the tip of my pinky to the end of my thumb. Also another I.d question about what I caught while trying to get another one of those shiners.
Posted Image
What kind of Redhorse/Sucker is this, it was caught in the same spot as the Shiner in the Thames and is about 14" long.

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

Look at the anal fin. It is very elongated. I am terrible with suckers and redhorse, but I notice this anal fin right off.

Edited by Skipjack, 09 August 2010 - 04:17 PM.

#13 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:28 PM

I am staying with striped shiner the scales do not look small or smashed up right behind its head.
i hope i am right this is one of my most favorite fish to keep and would hate to think i have had two outlive there life span
in a home tank thinking it was something else.

Edited by CATfishTONY, 09 August 2010 - 04:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users