Why must all Redhorse look the same!?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

Posted Image
Caught in the Thames River here in Ingersoll. The Thames Redhorse species are Black, Golden, Greater, River, Shorthead and Silver. I'm thinking shorthead, but this in my first ever Redhorse. It's mouth was round shaped. Thanks for the help.

Edited by donkeyman876, 09 August 2010 - 04:07 PM.

#2 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

Are any of those fins red, or is it just a bad photo?

IF thats its color I would say its a white sucker.

When wanting a Redhorse ID it helps to get a pick of the dorsal fin to see if its concaved or convexed. (forgive my spelling) Also a (worms eye view) photo of the mouth is very important.

#3 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

Ben!

Thanks for having a name in your signature. I'm not trying to be smart, I'm just thankful to have a chance to be courteous.

From your state books (if you have one) you should be able to find a "possible" list. From that, coupled with a large photo you have taken, you should be able to count scales and at least narrow it down. Further description from books will help and next time, be sure and take photos of Sucker mouths.

#4 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:48 PM

It has approx 80 lateral scales and the fin was concaved. The mouth was round and very squishy. I don't think the fins were red but not completely sure.

Edited by donkeyman876, 09 August 2010 - 06:59 PM.

#5 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

It has approx 80 lateral scales...

and you just answered your question, no? You should spend more time with your local redhorses, as they most certainly do not look the same! Silvers and greaters (particularly large adults) are two of the more spectacular fish in the Great Lakes region, yet are totally underappreciated.

#6 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

approximately 80 lateral scales = white sucker, redhorses have on average about half of the amount of lateral scales that you counted (obviously some variation between species)

#7 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

Ok, white suker than, thanks guys. (If anyone knows of good Ontario I.D book please let me know)

#8 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

The ROM Field Guide to Freshwater Fishes of Ontario, it has 2 bass on the cover, $30 but it has all the species in ontario and distribution maps, as well as ID keys

#9 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

Posted Image
Another one. (Forgot to take mouth photo) It's a white Sucker jut wanted to post another photo.

Edited by donkeyman876, 18 August 2010 - 07:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users