Preformed Pond Repair

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

I bought a used preformed pond- the standard black kind. I found upon closer examination a small hole where something sharp had pierced it on a curved part at the base of the second tier. What is the best way to repair it?
I tried just using silicon on a previous pond and it did not hold up.
Thanks!

#2 Guest_Okiimiru_*

Guest_Okiimiru_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

I'll never ever use those prefabricated pond shells to build a pond.  Here's why:

Two years ago I dug a pond with a shovel (never a fun experience.  Next time I'll rent a backhoe) and lined it with that half inch thick rubber that roofers throw away.  My Dad got it from his buddy.  It was this huge piece the size of someone's house, and we rolled it out in the back yard and picked a patch that was new-looking and cut it out.  We lined the pond with it, and raised the pond's edge two feet off of the ground using lumber to create a bench.  The bench is nice to sit on, and it prevents small children from falling into the pond.  There's a waterfall on one end of the pond, and a filter.

That roofing rubber idea worked really well, and the pond was custom shaped and sized exactly how I wanted because of the liner I chose.  It would be very advantageous if you had any buddies in the roofing business.  ;)

Edited by Okiimiru, 12 August 2010 - 07:43 PM.

#3 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

There are patch kits out there that you can use but I would borrow from Okiimiru's advice. If you like the pond shape that you have now, just get a liner and you'll be done. That way you don't have to worry about the patch failing or cracking.

#4 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

I had an 8 inch crack in a 300 gallon watering trough. Glues won't stick to this milk jug stuff. Even welding didn't work because 1) the weld material would shrink and crack as it cooled, and 2) filling the pond made the crack change shape.

Try Loctite Epoxy Putty, or another brand.

I fixed my pond by filling the pond with water, then using the epoxy putty by hand underwater.

#5 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

Eli...
Patch kits work great. It was some time ago but the manufacturer sent it to me for free. Clean surface with solvent and apply adhesive patch. Done.

#6 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

I had a small preform that I had to use a patch on when an arborvittae root poked thru. The patches work great as long as you clean the algae off the area before applying the patch.

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:56 PM

Water weld from Home Depot will fix it, I guarantee. Look for it with the glues, and epoxies near the paint section.

http://www.jbweld.ne...ducts/water.php

#8 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:59 PM

Awesome, thanks folks!
Low budget is what I need. If I had my way I'd hire a backhoe, dig a giant pond and line it with clay, but I'm living on musicians pay!

#9 Guest_Okiimiru_*

Guest_Okiimiru_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:03 AM

Low budget is what I need. If I had my way I'd hire a backhoe, dig a giant pond and line it with clay, but I'm living on musicians pay!

Well, my pond was free.
I just got a shovel, gloves, and a wheel barrow and went to work. A couple days later (no I am not exaggerating. Have I mentioned that I hate tree roots?) I had a pond. That roof material didn't cost me anything. We just had to go out with the pickup truck and carry it away for them. And the shovel was already in the garage. And if you don't happen to have spare pond filters laying around like I did, you can make them yourself for super cheap. Just use the blueprints online that use a garbage can. This blueprint says it costs less than $20.00: http://www.ehow.com/...ond-filter.html

#10 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Well, my pond was free.
I just got a shovel, gloves, and a wheel barrow and went to work. A couple days later (no I am not exaggerating. Have I mentioned that I hate tree roots?) I had a pond. That roof material didn't cost me anything. We just had to go out with the pickup truck and carry it away for them. And the shovel was already in the garage. And if you don't happen to have spare pond filters laying around like I did, you can make them yourself for super cheap. Just use the blueprints online that use a garbage can. This blueprint says it costs less than $20.00: http://www.ehow.com/...ond-filter.html

That's pretty awesome! I wish my roofer buddy was still around.

#11 Guest_Sal_*

Guest_Sal_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

That's pretty awesome! I wish my roofer buddy was still around.

What do you keep in your pond?

I use them also 40 gallon size and up .Cold is not my problem but heat is so all in shade .

Do you heat yours in winter?

Attached Files

Edited by Sal, 16 August 2010 - 03:23 PM.

#12 Guest_Sal_*

Guest_Sal_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

I'll never ever use those prefabricated pond shells to build a pond.  Here's why:

Two years ago I dug a pond with a shovel (never a fun experience.  Next time I'll rent a backhoe) and lined it with that half inch thick rubber that roofers throw away.  My Dad got it from his buddy.  It was this huge piece the size of someone's house, and we rolled it out in the back yard and picked a patch that was new-looking and cut it out.  We lined the pond with it, and raised the pond's edge two feet off of the ground using lumber to create a bench.  The bench is nice to sit on, and it prevents small children from falling into the pond.  There's a waterfall on one end of the pond, and a filter.

That roofing rubber idea worked really well, and the pond was custom shaped and sized exactly how I wanted because of the liner I chose.  It would be very advantageous if you had any buddies in the roofing business.  ;)

I am about to bury a good size water trough 3/4 deep as do need a few inches above ground due to rainy season and your rubber roofing piece sounds great.

I am going to look around for that .

Thanks

#13 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:22 PM

What do you keep in your pond?

I use them also 40 gallon size and up .Cold is not my problem but heat is so all in shade .

Do you heat yours in winter?

Nice little pond there! I have two like that, but they only have daphnia in them. I was going to try to breed fish in them during the summer, but I never got around to it.
So far I have no fish outside, but was going to put Pumpkinseeds out there in my big pond. I live in VT, but I have read that a pond over three feet deep will not freeze all the way.

#14 Guest_Okiimiru_*

Guest_Okiimiru_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

I live in VT, but I have read that a pond over three feet deep will not freeze all the way.

That's a nice little lie people tell themselves sometimes. I live in Ohio, and I've seen a five foot deep pond freeze solid.

And even if a pond doesn't freeze completely solid, the fish have a hard time surviving if the surface ices over. The trick is to keep the water moving. Add a waterfall to your pond.

I do advise people to make their pond more than three feet deep, but that's mostly because
1. Pond temperature is more stable if you have a deeper pond.
2. Fish can avoid predators if they have deep water to hide in.

It's not because it can't still freeze solid. Because it can. When it gets cold enough, three feet of non-moving water will freeze solid sure enough.

Edited by Okiimiru, 26 August 2010 - 05:57 PM.

#15 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

With my first preformed pond, a arborvitea root grew thru the pond. I drained it and bought a patch from my lfs. It worked well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users