pickerel playing dead

18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

So last night I go and check on my fish, one of my pickerels is kinda wrapped around the filter, obviously I panic thinking he's dead or dying since I took everything out and rearranged the whole tank, changed substrate etc, poke him with my net and off he goes like wtf are you doing? Turns out he was just so lazy that he let himself get sucked up against the filter as he likes to hover beside it. Anyone ever seen that? Sure did scare me!

#2 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

You might want to consider restricting the flow to your filter or using a different type of filtration.

#3 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

Think it could be harmful?

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:57 AM

Yes. That is not a natural 'resting position' for a pickerel or any fish for that matter. This could lead to scales being rubbed off and then a secondary infection could set in. It's not worth risking your fish's life just because it likes to rest on the filter intake. I would wrap a filter sponge around it--kill 2 birds with one stone as it will also act as a prefilter removing sediment and other solid wastes.
Nick L.

#5 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

A fish up against the filter intake is never good. I second the sponge over the intake suggestion.

#6 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

sponge as in what kind of sponge?

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:53 PM

sponge as in what kind of sponge?

as in the foam things you put inside the filters. cut a hole from the top and put it over the intake
Posted Image

#8 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

as in the foam things you put inside the filters. cut a hole from the top and put it over the intake
Posted Image

as in cut a hole top to bottom long ways? Its that thick?

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:18 PM

as in cut a hole top to bottom long ways? Its that thick?

yup. i use it on my pipefish tank to prevent the live brine shrimp from being sucked in.

#10 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:29 PM

I suppose any sponge would work, could even use a rubber band maybe. I like your idea though, since it doesn't involve adding anything else

#11 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

I suppose any sponge would work, could even use a rubber band maybe. I like your idea though, since it doesn't involve adding anything else

i wouldnt use a rubber band...these sponges are like 2 bucks a pack. have you ever smelt a rubber band? i have no idea if they use chemicals....plys the sponge will give you more beneficial bacteria.

#12 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:42 PM

i wouldnt use a rubber band...these sponges are like 2 bucks a pack. have you ever smelt a rubber band? i have no idea if they use chemicals....plys the sponge will give you more beneficial bacteria.

Plus it doesn't take but 2 months under water for that rubber band to rot off.
Aquaclear inserts are where it's at.

#13 Guest_Okiimiru_*

Guest_Okiimiru_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:50 PM

I suppose any sponge would work

Don't use store sponges. They often come predosed with chemicals for bathroom and kitchen cleaning. Sometimes "sea sponges" are chemical free and safe.

#14 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

If you look around in the fish store, sometimes you can find tube shaped sponges that you can just slip over the filter intake. Azoo sponge filters are one, there is at least one other.

#15 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

i use "filter pads" intended for use in HVAC applications. I got a box of pads that measure 1.5" thick and are 22" x 30" square for about 10 dollars at a HVAC supply place in town. They are blue on one side and white on the other, one side being more coarse and other fine. I wrap them around slotted 1" PVC intakes to a Reverse Under-gravel Filter that i have in several tanks. I secure them with zip ties.

NOTE: Don't trim the zip ties. It leave a sharp edge that fish scrap themselves on if they bump into them.

#16 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

If you look around in the fish store, sometimes you can find tube shaped sponges that you can just slip over the filter intake. Azoo sponge filters are one, there is at least one other.

You can get foam pipe insulation that is porous - sometimes it has a skin on the surface, but sometimes you can find the kind that doesn't. It is safe for aquariums.

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:32 PM

You can get foam pipe insulation that is porous - sometimes it has a skin on the surface, but sometimes you can find the kind that doesn't. It is safe for aquariums.

I get it, after someone uses this fish safe foam, you get to say your "fish are all gonna die" :biggrin:

#18 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:56 PM

Now, would I intentionally direct someone with demonstrable gullibility into such a trap?

#19 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

I thought gullible meant you did your own setups (see title of this topic, for instance).

Incidentally, your signature has recently become even more confusing to me than your avatar.

Edited by gzeiger, 22 August 2010 - 08:43 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users