55 gal Florida spring setup.

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_irishkc_*

Guest_irishkc_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

I have a 55 gal aquarium I'll be setting up in a few weeks. I want to do a setup that would mimic Florida freshwater spring habitat, with a sandy substrate and at least one large piece of driftwood. I plan to house a couple sunnies, preferably smaller variety, like dollar, bluespotted, possibly pygmies, If I can locate some.

Two questions:
1. Is there any problems with collecting these fish from dark, heavily vegetated tannic lakes or backwaters and placing them in this type of tank?
2. Does anyone have suggestions about what else I can put in as cover for these fish without using much vegetation and maintain the natural look?

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

I will say the pygmies will need loads of vegetation and wouldn't do good with what you listed. You do say you want to create their habitat and catch them from heavily vegitated tanned water. Why not recreate that in your tank, minus the tanned water? bluespotted sunfish also love plants and color up real nice with plants.

#3 Guest_irishkc_*

Guest_irishkc_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

That's a definite option, however, I have two other tanks, one native, one not. I just wanted to do something a little different. I suppose could just go with a species that would be in that environment and find a supplier or sample in one of the clear spring runs. I appreciate the input.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

That's a definite option, however, I have two other tanks, one native, one not. I just wanted to do something a little different. I suppose could just go with a species that would be in that environment and find a supplier or sample in one of the clear spring runs. I appreciate the input.

I don't think you would have any problem with bringing the fish into your clear water... I think the only problem is that those fish naturally want to be in an area with cover. Bluespots for instance... are great fish... but they live in that habitat, and are going to be more comfortable and do better if you provide that habitat (I mean the plant cover)... the fish will be stressed out in the open, its just not their thing. Dollars are a little more bold and more tolerant of different habitats, but they too like cover. Everything will work better in the long run if you accommodate the fishes natural needs.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_irishkc_*

Guest_irishkc_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

I may not have stated the question clearly. I'm more looking for ways to create the necessary cover without necessarily using LEAFY plants more driftwood is one option, but I don't want to clutter the tank with randomly scattered lumber, so to speak. I've noticed moss/algae clumps in some of these spring runs and wondered if there were other options that I was not aware of. Low growing (<6"), low maintenance grasses could be a potential solution, I think. Again, all input is appreciated.

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

So, you just don't want broad-leaved plants? That's no problem. Most of the aquatic mosses available are tropical or subtropical Asian species, but they will still do well and look close enough to native species to fit the biotope. Native species of Vallisneria, Sagittaria, Najas, and Eleocharis are readily available and fit your "low-growing grass" suggestion. Riccia, Lemna, and other floaters will do well. Clumps of algae such as Cladophora species can also look quite nice.

As far as taking fish from tannic waters and putting them in your tank, that should be fine. Just be sure to acclimate them slowly, especially if your tank water is very hard and/or basic; a sudden change in water chemistry can be stressful to the fish. You can also help reduce stress by waiting until it cools down a bit to collect your fish.

I do strongly suggest that you pick one of the sunfish species and build your stocklist around it. Dollars are aggressive, territorial little brutes and will devour pygmies and beat up bluespots. However, they can be kept with similar-sized or at least faster-moving tankmates. If you could get some Pteronotropis shiners, you might even see some nest parasitism (the shiners spawn over sunfish nests). Enneacanthus sunnies, including bluespots, are shy fish that do best with inoffensive tankmates, such as darters, minnows, killies, and livebearers.

You may not appreciate how small pygmy sunfish are; they're in the general size range of guppies, neon tetras, etc. You'd need a ton of them in a 55 gallon in order to see much of them, as they are more cryptic than those little tropical fishes. I would suggest using a smaller, very densely planted tank if you are interested in keeping them.

#7 Guest_irishkc_*

Guest_irishkc_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

Thanks Newt, that's more along the lines of info I was after. The plan is initially for Bluespots and possibly some pygmies along with. If I go this route, they'll be accompanied by other natives I can manage with them. If I end up going with one of the larger and/or more aggressive species, it'll go more as a dedicated species tank. Thanks again for the info.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users