300g

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BlokOne_*

Guest_BlokOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:39 AM

any suggestions of fish to put in with my 12-13in largemouth in a 300g. 96"X30"X24"h. there will also be a 16in pleco. i am thinking about kinds of catfish. any other large fish also

#2 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:07 AM

Three hundred gallon, must be nice. Bullheads on the not so baby size. How about a chain pickerel?? I do not know much about keeping LMB but I do know they are very awesome when Young. They look like little minnows till they open there mouth. Then they look like miniature cargo hatches. I have seen them swallow small shiners/gambusia almost as long as they are. Funny thing happened to me once when fishing with a friend. Using # ten hook fishing for blue gill to eat I caught a LMB no kidding at all, he was not much more than an inch long. I was using crickets. They can really open their mouths. They have big mouths almost as big as some of my "friends" LOL. Good luck finding co-habitants for your bass. He can be a bully I guess. Keep us posted on what you decide. I do not know how big your bass is right now, but I have quite a few young warmouths. Any where from 1.5 inches the 3.5 inches long. They would be awesome I think with proper cover with that bass. Beautiful fish those warmouths. I need desperatly to get rid of some. I brought them back from my Louisiana collecting trip. You can find YOY ones there like crazy. I find it hard to catch one under six inches here in the Chattanooga area.

Let me know if you want one. Even if that Bass is very large let me know. I can go out and catch one here like in the six to seven inch range.

Daniel/ AKA nativecajun

After going back I see you said 12 to 13 inches. So ya the warmouth I have would be food. But if you want a large one, and not in an area where you can catch one let me know I can see what I can do.

I do have a young yellow bullhead around the three to four inch range. I do not know if Bass would eat a catfish but you are welcolme to have him if you want him.

#3 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:24 PM

I think a chain pickerel, maybe a bowfin, a gar or two, some catfish like you said, and maybe a few large sunfish like warmouth or redears.

#4 Guest_BlokOne_*

Guest_BlokOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:38 PM

well hes been living byhimself for the last 2 years in a 50 and i just got the pleco the other day. i tried a 14inch chanel cat that i got for 11bucks at a lfs and it almost killed my bass but i ended up selling the chanell for 25$ on craigslist. and he will try to eat fish almost as big as him so i am thinking of largerfish. how large do gars get?

#5 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:02 PM

which species?
the smallest I would say 6ft. in the wild but I have never had a gar besides blunt nose(south american) so in a tank I have no idea.

#6 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

Spotteds only get about 3'. Well not ONLY but for a gar it is "only".

Chad

#7 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:57 PM

florida and spotted gar are smaller not sure exact size but plenty big enough to live with a largemouth. The other good thing about them is they do not eat really large fish like the bass will so they will not cost as much to feed. I know some people even get them pellet trained. Or if you like bass get some other bass species like smallmouth, spotted, or if your lucky enough to aquire some of the species with smaller ranges like shoal and redeye that would be very cool.

#8 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:14 PM

florida and spotted gar are smaller not sure exact size but plenty big enough to live with a largemouth. The other good thing about them is they do not eat really large fish like the bass will so they will not cost as much to feed. I know some people even get them pellet trained. Or if you like bass get some other bass species like smallmouth, spotted, or if your lucky enough to aquire some of the species with smaller ranges like shoal and redeye that would be very cool.

Yes they don't eat huge fish but don't be fooled they still eat like champs. And if you think you cannot get your fish pellet trained my best advice is DO NOT give up. It is possible with any fish (atleast I have convinced myself of that) it just takes some time.

Chad

#9 Guest_BlokOne_*

Guest_BlokOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

i first started with 3 largemouth and they were all takeing worms and goldfish flakes within a few hours of being in the tank when they were about 2inches

#10 Guest_BlokOne_*

Guest_BlokOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:23 AM

also i am thinking about getting either a 10 or 6gal to put on my nightstand, i was thinking one bottom fish and one sunfish. i was thinking ether a longear or a pumpkinseed. is this enough room and what is the most agresive sunfish?

#11 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:26 AM

I would say longears are the most aggressive and maybe one would be ok in a ten but a 6 is too small, if you decide on the 6 maybe consider 1 bluespotted or blackbanded sunfish they are much smaller.

#12 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:48 AM

I would say longears are the most aggressive and maybe one would be ok in a ten but a 6 is too small, if you decide on the 6 maybe consider 1 bluespotted or blackbanded sunfish they are much smaller.

Brian, you recommend Sunfish to everyone, haha.

#13 Guest_BlokOne_*

Guest_BlokOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 03:54 PM

are there any sunfish that would be big enough to survive with my bass?

#14 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

Greens, bluegill, and pumpkinseed would probably be your best choice as far as sunfish go...

Chad

#15 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:26 PM

Warmouth, Bluegill, Redear, and Redbreast are probably the largest 4 then the pumpkinseeds and the larger strains of longears would come in close behind those. Redears are by far the largest. I have personally seen redears pushing 15", and they may be able to get even a inch or two larger if well fed. You could also try a rockbass or a large crappie. I think if you try to put just one sunfish in with the bass your asking for trouble, you would need multiple fish to spread out his aggression. You may also consider removing the bass for a few days from your large tank and let the sunfish get established and familiar with where the hiding places are then put the bass back in. That should give you a better chance at getting them living together. If the bass is well fed he is less likely to consider the sunfish food too.

#16 Guest_BlokOne_*

Guest_BlokOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:50 PM

Warmouth, Bluegill, Redear, and Redbreast are probably the largest 4 then the pumpkinseeds and the larger strains of longears would come in close behind those. Redears are by far the largest. I have personally seen redears pushing 15", and they may be able to get even a inch or two larger if well fed. You could also try a rockbass or a large crappie. I think if you try to put just one sunfish in with the bass your asking for trouble, you would need multiple fish to spread out his aggression. You may also consider removing the bass for a few days from your large tank and let the sunfish get established and familiar with where the hiding places are then put the bass back in. That should give you a better chance at getting them living together. If the bass is well fed he is less likely to consider the sunfish food too.

i plan to introduce all the fish at the same time or close to the same time.

#17 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:18 AM

I forgot you did say the bass was not in that tank yet didn't you. I would try to get ahold of atleast 4 or 5 sunfish that are fairly large (proably will have to go with things you have locally larger fish are hard to ship), too big for the bass to eat, so if he's 12 now probably need 7 or 8 inch sunfish to be safe and get them ready in another tank (by getting them ready I mean be sure they are feeding well and look healthy) and be sure to have plenty of cover in your large tank. I can't see the bass eating them if he's well fed, they have fish together like this in cabelas and bass pro shop stores all the time and in big public aquariums. Maybe even have some other food items (like some 3-4" golden shiners) in the tank when all the large fish go in. This should give the bass something to hunt and distract him from the sunfish till things get established.

#18 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

are there any sunfish that would be big enough to survive with my bass?

Sacramento perch get to be 29 inches, I hear. I have never heard of anyone keeping them in aquaria.

#19 Guest_BlokOne_*

Guest_BlokOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:11 AM

is there any fish that will eat snails that are large enough?

#20 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:41 AM

redear sunfish and pumpkinseeds both eat snails, there are probably other species that will too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users