Elassoma Gilberti

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1023 replies to this topic

#41 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:01 AM

Good job... that is certainly a BLACK fish... he is obviously well fed, happy, and ready to go... she seems to be none too interested (why are girls like that?)... and for the most part has her back turned to him... if she gets receptive and actually pays attention he will be popping those fins almost non-stop. Again, well done.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#42 Guest_skalartor_*

Guest_skalartor_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

Yes, this looks really good. maybe in a few days or weeks of proper feeding on mosquito larvae or something like this the female will join the spawning act. maybe you can get pictures of this as well. that would be very interesting to see.
by the way: Okiimiru, could you offer me some pictures of your e. gilberti? i'm just now creating a website about elassoma species (the first version in german, the english one will follow soon) and i'm still searching pictures.

#43 Guest_Okiimiru_*

Guest_Okiimiru_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

Yes, this looks really good. maybe in a few days or weeks of proper feeding on mosquito larvae or something like this the female will join the spawning act.

Um, well, I've been kind of hoping to wean them onto flakes and microworms. So far it's working.

maybe you can get pictures of this as well. that would be very interesting to see.
by the way: Okiimiru, could you offer me some pictures of your e. gilberti? i'm just now creating a website about elassoma species (the first version in german, the english one will follow soon) and i'm still searching pictures.

Okay. If I get any good ones, I'll add them to this topic and you can have them.
But I think your website should mention how skittish and frustrating to keep these fish are. My friends who visit me to stare at my tanks really hate the Elassoma; they can never see anything inside the aquarium and even I can only rarely find a fish in there. My friend Shane is most vocal, and advocates, "Giving them away and getting some real fish." The Elassoma spend 99% of their time being invisible.

Edited by Okiimiru, 05 September 2010 - 09:08 AM.

#44 Guest_Okiimiru_*

Guest_Okiimiru_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:16 AM

she seems to be none too interested (why are girls like that?)... and for the most part has her back turned to him...

Well, she did seemed a little confused about what he wanted from her. But I think she'll figure it out. While I was taking this video, the guy was wiggling at the girls and they were swimming closer to him, then farther away, then closer. They're probably wondering "what is this big black beautiful fish and is it going to attack me?" She's probably frightened by the new experience but captivated by him. Awww. How cute.

#45 Guest_skalartor_*

Guest_skalartor_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:37 AM

thank you.
i think elassoma-species are a nice change to guppies and neon just because they are so slow and live a hidden life. i really love these little guys and when you get to see them they will show you a broad range of behavior. of coarse they are not the best to be presented to anyone who is not very interested in these fish, but i don't keep them for anyone else but for myself.
and by no later than you have any fry they will get interesting for everyone.

#46 Guest_Terceira_*

Guest_Terceira_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

Gasp! This fish is now a dark grey/slate blue! OMG yes

Here is an image of a wild male collected in the Panhandle............... just about all of the Ellasoma in the panhandle are E gilberti................. Thanks for respecting the copyright................

Attached Files

#47 Guest_skalartor_*

Guest_skalartor_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:38 PM

hi,
would you think it's okay for me to use this one my website about elassoma-species? of coarse your copyright is mentioned.
torben

#48 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

Can somebody explain to me how blue & green iridescent color comes and goes in a fish? Okimiru's male gilberti had blue fin margins and blue body bars a couple months ago, like Tony's pic but not quite that extensive. I've read that blue/green color in fish (and birds) is made by refracting light with guanine, rather than with pigment (except for darters which have blue pigment). Do guanine deposits in the skin come and go according to hormones, social status and season, like pigments do? Or are they permanent but masked by melanin or something when the fish does not want to appear blue? PS - There were fry in the tank when I removed those adults, so at least one of your females knows what to do with the wiggly black guy.

If you dont get any fry in the next month or two, you might want feed more live food for awhile (mosquitoes, chopped blackworms), at least until you've got enough fry to carry on your next generation. Then go back to experimenting with dry food weaning.

#49 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:31 PM

Guanine deposits can be blocked indirectly by the action of pigments within the chromatophores. The pigments are kept within vesicles in cells, and can be variously relaxed (spread out) or constricted (vesicles are smaller). These actions affect the reflective character of the dermis where most guanine is found most of the time.

#50 Guest_Terceira_*

Guest_Terceira_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

hi,
would you think it's okay for me to use this one my website about elassoma-species? of coarse your copyright is mentioned.
torben

#51 Guest_Terceira_*

Guest_Terceira_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

I find it very interesting that you would ask to use my image............... especially when it is already on your web site..... and I specifically asked that one respect my copyright.

I found my image on your site and the copyright inforamton is unreadable.................. It would really have been much more appropriate to ask and wait for a response, than taking my copyrighted image and using it as you wish without any permission

Tony

#52 Guest_Okiimiru_*

Guest_Okiimiru_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

Update on the fish: I saw one of the females today. She was striped dark brown on sand brown, kind of like the dinosaurs on the Jurassic Park movie. And it looked like someone had given her a black eye.

I couldn't take a photo because they still hate people too much. These fish are starting to annoy me, with how little I see them and how shy they are. 99% of the time, it's as if the tank is empty.

#53 Guest_skalartor_*

Guest_skalartor_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:40 AM

hi,
sorry, i missunderstood what zou wrote. i will delete right away. i just thought that it would be a reply on my question for pics. and because your name and copyright is written in it, i thougt it would be no problem. i hope you accept my apology.
im really sorry, this won't happen again.
skalartor

Edited by skalartor, 09 September 2010 - 05:46 AM.

#54 Guest_Terceira_*

Guest_Terceira_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

hi,
sorry, i missunderstood what zou wrote. i will delete right away. i just thought that it would be a reply on my question for pics. and because your name and copyright is written in it, i thougt it would be no problem. i hope you accept my apology.
im really sorry, this won't happen again.
skalartor

I can understand your confusion................. Please understand my point. I donate images to NANFA and other non for profit groups all over the world. Since I dervie income from my photography, it is important that I know where my intellectual property is being used, and how......... it makes signing contracts for the use of my work easier. I simply ask that people ask to use my work so I kinow where it is, and what it is being used for. Too many of my images have appeared in places where the copyright was removed and the implication was that the image was in fact a fish that was for sale, or being auctioned........... Use the image, please retype the copyright information under the image, and note "permission required by photographer to use" .

Tony

#55 Guest_skalartor_*

Guest_skalartor_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

I can understand your confusion................. Please understand my point. I donate images to NANFA and other non for profit groups all over the world. Since I dervie income from my photography, it is important that I know where my intellectual property is being used, and how......... it makes signing contracts for the use of my work easier. I simply ask that people ask to use my work so I kinow where it is, and what it is being used for. Too many of my images have appeared in places where the copyright was removed and the implication was that the image was in fact a fish that was for sale, or being auctioned........... Use the image, please retype the copyright information under the image, and note "permission required by photographer to use" .

Tony

hi,
thanks. of coarse your copyright is important and i really apologize for my mistake. with your permission i will reupload the picture again, you really help me very much.
torben

#56 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

Try this trick for making Elassoma (and other shy fish) thrilled to see you: Drop in live mosquito larvae one at a time at the front of the tank. Wait for them to eat it before you drop in the next one.
Female's belly should be round and slightly pinkish-tan when ready to spawn.

Update on the fish: I saw one of the females today. She was striped dark brown on sand brown, kind of like the dinosaurs on the Jurassic Park movie. And it looked like someone had given her a black eye.

I couldn't take a photo because they still hate people too much. These fish are starting to annoy me, with how little I see them and how shy they are. 99% of the time, it's as if the tank is empty.

#57 Guest_Okiimiru_*

Guest_Okiimiru_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

Try this trick for making Elassoma (and other shy fish) thrilled to see you: Drop in live mosquito larvae one at a time at the front of the tank. Wait for them to eat it before you drop in the next one.
Female's belly should be round and slightly pinkish-tan when ready to spawn.

Is there anything else that would work besides mosquito larvae? (It's not available here)
I've tried daphnia, moina, microworms, flakes, green water, etc. They hide, waiting until I'm gone to swim forward and eat.
Maybe I should hatch some brine shrimp eggs, get a colony going, and drop adults into the tank?

#58 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:41 PM

Is there anything else that would work besides mosquito larvae? (It's not available here)
I've tried daphnia, moina, microworms, flakes, green water, etc. They hide, waiting until I'm gone to swim forward and eat.
Maybe I should hatch some brine shrimp eggs, get a colony going, and drop adults into the tank?

Blackworms

#59 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

Really? You can have some of mine. Do you mind if I send you a bunch of the adults so you can culture your own?

I ASSuMEd, based on their abundance in this part of the country, that they were pretty much available everywhere! But hey, I'm happy to share the wealth with those less fortunate than I am.

#60 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:03 PM

Ohio is completely devoid of mosquitoes. The DNR went crazy with Gambusia introductions after the West Nile scare. Cant find a single one till you cross over the river into Kentucky.

I suppose she meant available commercially Martin, Duh! :twisted:

Okiimiru, As Uland mentioned, blackworms would be great. There are some good sources on Aquabid for them. Some even come with tubs for keeping them in the fridge. Sounds like you already keep micro worms, why not upsize, and start a whiteworm culture. The larger size of white worms might be more appealing to your elassoma.
One more thing you might try....... Patience. They will eventually learn to like the big head peering at them. This might be hard to swallow, but try starving them, no lets call it fasting. Fast them for a day or two then add feed. Repeat. Hunger often overpowers fear. Once you condition them, you are set. Good luck, and set a bucket of water outside, instant mosquito culture. :-$

Edited by Skipjack, 09 September 2010 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users