#1 Guest_guvidu_*

Guest_guvidu_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hello Gang,

name: sorin damian
terra typica: transilvania
holotype: fatish vampire- can't fly anymore..just crawl :tongue:
present status: adapted to sunlight and garlic; no sucking blood or enjoying red meats anymore
interests: collecting or just photographing trips on a ~200 miles radius from DC. When traveling to other parts of the country: willing to join local Nanfans for quick local trips.
experience in the hobby: 472 years
extra territorial interests: same kind of trips to Central and South America

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

welcome to the forum...although at first glance i thought this was spam....im guilty of reporting it. my bad.

#3 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

Welcome to the forum, hope you fine any info you need! Do you keep any native fish or just like collecting and photographing their beauty?

#4 Guest_guvidu_*

Guest_guvidu_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hello Lemon,
Yes it is your bad, but I still like your..... speed. Danke Schon. If it takes you few minutes to report something you don't comprende, I'm wondering how fast you will shoot a poor fish that does not behave well in your tanks.
Thanks anyway
sorin aka guvidu

#5 Guest_guvidu_*

Guest_guvidu_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

Welcome to the forum, hope you fine any info you need! Do you keep any native fish or just like collecting and photographing their beauty?

Thank you very much for the welcome. I do keep some right now: the list shifts from time to time depending on the fixation I have, and of course availability.
I do like to photograph courtship sequences for species with UNKNOWN breeding behavior. I used to publish few hundred years ago. I have a special attraction (or fixation?) for Gobiidae, Syngnathidae, Gasterosteidae, Atherinidae, brackish to freshwater Mullidae and many others.
I have some friends here, too.

Some weekends I roam alone around the Chesapeake Bay or some creeks up to PA.
regards
sorin

#6 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

Welcome Sorin. You're a breath of fresh air; just what we need around here (no offense to the forum membership).
If you're out in the Midwest, give me a shout and we'll snap some shots of fish.

#7 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

Sounds like he'll get along well with Martin.

#8 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

Sounds like he'll get along well with Martin.

I think I'd agree, I like him.

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

Where are some places you phograph around the Bay drainage? I'm playing with a JVC HD video cam in an Ikelite housing quite a bit the past two weeks all over the state.

#10 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

Hello Lemon,
Yes it is your bad, but I still like your..... speed. Danke Schon. If it takes you few minutes to report something you don't comprende, I'm wondering how fast you will shoot a poor fish that does not behave well in your tanks.
Thanks anyway
sorin aka guvidu

i gotta use my spear-gun sometime :laugh:

#11 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:40 PM

Welcome to the Forum, Sorin, we're glad you found us and joined.

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

Y'all don't remember Sorin? AKA "Friendly Sorin" from the old email list?

#13 Guest_guvidu_*

Guest_guvidu_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:15 AM

Welcome Sorin. You're a breath of fresh air; just what we need around here (no offense to the forum membership).
If you're out in the Midwest, give me a shout and we'll snap some shots of fish.

Thank you Thomas for the welcome,
I will definitely let you know in advance if I'll show up in your "area".

As a disclaimer for everyone here, please don't take my jokes seriously and don't get offended if language is not always Shakespearean. On my side I enjoy laughing and I take a lot of sarcasm very easy.

#14 Guest_guvidu_*

Guest_guvidu_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

Donkey man (Martin?)

I see, you are in London...the other London. What is really funny is the fact that I am also a Canadian citizen. I used to go out collecting along St Laurent river, never on the Ontario side. I still remember collecting places in Montreal the city where I spent many years before I was kicked out from frigid Quebec to the "disgusting" San Diego. :mrgreen:

#15 Guest_guvidu_*

Guest_guvidu_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:51 AM

Where are some places you phograph around the Bay drainage? I'm playing with a JVC HD video cam in an Ikelite housing quite a bit the past two weeks all over the state.

Matt,
My main "spots" (obviously discovered with great pain )are the Marina from the Eastern Shore end of the bridge for pipefishes, shrimps and sheepheads, etc., then toward Deal island for some ditches along the edge of the Blackwater reserve (Fundulus sp, etc), then Assateague bay around the Verazanno Bridge, then Chincoteague Bay (the one behind Chincoteague-I presume this is the name) for brackish sp. or macroalgae. I tried also a lot of spots on the DC side of th eBay, but the whole shore is too populated. I use goggle map to locate streets ending into the bay, but the maps don't always show fences, private properties, or people holding guns...

Chris mentioned once Grasonville for Syngnathus, but I never got close to a good spot.... sometimes you nead a boat to reach the SAVs.

I usually use scientific articles for locations and just go to a particular spot for the fun of it (it is better then staying home and fight with the wife...hahahahaha). Most of the articles are quite old. For example right now I have on my list a location for Apeltes on Solomon Island. Very likely the fish is not there anymore, but I still have to go there (do we call it compulsive behavior?).

RE: Video under water...none of my locations are crystal clear waters, only the Chincoteague bay in some days, but you never know. Long time ago I did a little bit of this in PA when I was looking for hellbenders. When I returned to the same spot after many years the creek was quite muddy.

On the old NANFA mailing list I tried (or maybe just dreamed?) that we can have a small local group willing to go out into the " woods" from time to time, just to mimic the famous explorers (Lewis and Clark?).

Last weekend, I went to WV ..I drove 5 hrs one way, stay there 24 minutes, then returned home 5 more hrs...but I'll tell it was good....

#16 Guest_guvidu_*

Guest_guvidu_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

Welcome to the Forum, Sorin, we're glad you found us and joined.

Thanks Bruce,
I didn't know about the Forum version of the old NANFA mailing list.
Thank you again.
sorin

#17 Guest_guvidu_*

Guest_guvidu_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

Y'all don't remember Sorin? AKA "Friendly Sorin" from the old email list?

Waw waw waw...here he is .....the Irate Mormon.... I eventually learned that I have to add a comma between "friendly" and "sorin" ....happy to hear you are still around.
Those last years were interesting years: the doctors cut my bat wings and pulled my original sharp teeth and they gave me instead titanium stents (or I don't know maybe it was lead, tin or copper?), so I can leave 400 more years (hey Lemon this is not Shpam...this is a real time frame...Vlad the Impaler used to leave around 1430, just a little bit before Gutenberg invented that criminal device of his)...

Thank you again

#18 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:45 AM

Matt,
My main "spots" (obviously discovered with great pain )are the Marina from the Eastern Shore end of the bridge for pipefishes, shrimps and sheepheads, etc., then toward Deal island for some ditches along the edge of the Blackwater reserve (Fundulus sp, etc), then Assateague bay around the Verazanno Bridge, then Chincoteague Bay (the one behind Chincoteague-I presume this is the name) for brackish sp. or macroalgae. I tried also a lot of spots on the DC side of th eBay, but the whole shore is too populated. I use goggle map to locate streets ending into the bay, but the maps don't always show fences, private properties, or people holding guns...

Chris mentioned once Grasonville for Syngnathus, but I never got close to a good spot.... sometimes you nead a boat to reach the SAVs.

I usually use scientific articles for locations and just go to a particular spot for the fun of it (it is better then staying home and fight with the wife...hahahahaha). Most of the articles are quite old. For example right now I have on my list a location for Apeltes on Solomon Island. Very likely the fish is not there anymore, but I still have to go there (do we call it compulsive behavior?).

RE: Video under water...none of my locations are crystal clear waters, only the Chincoteague bay in some days, but you never know. Long time ago I did a little bit of this in PA when I was looking for hellbenders. When I returned to the same spot after many years the creek was quite muddy.

On the old NANFA mailing list I tried (or maybe just dreamed?) that we can have a small local group willing to go out into the " woods" from time to time, just to mimic the famous explorers (Lewis and Clark?).

Last weekend, I went to WV ..I drove 5 hrs one way, stay there 24 minutes, then returned home 5 more hrs...but I'll tell it was good....

Plenty of clear water in fresh and tidal-freshwater. You wouldn't happen to know of spots for Rainwater killies would you? Needless to say, they fall through the regulatory cracks because of where they are generally found is not somewhere where non-gamefish are recorded. Most museum records are decades old...their true status is somewhat of a mystery and we could have an unfortunate awakening when we do find out, i.e. bridle shiner. The same could be said for Spotfin killifish

#19 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

Excuse the minor threadjack, but Matt, do you guys encounter spotfin killies in MD? I think I could guess where to look but in my limited experience in recent years I haven't seen them in MD, or in Chincoteague, VA, either.

#20 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:02 PM

Do we personally, no, since we are 99% of the time in non-tidal streams. I have never personally collected them either in my limited tidal-fresh and brackish seining. They are an S2?, which essentially means we have no clue. The folks that work in the areas you'd probably find them eitehr don't do fish work or most likely wouldn't know what they are looking at.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users