Kentucky Corals

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

I went fishing in Buck Creek KY, a tributary to Lake Cumberland in Pulaski Co. KY. My friend and I found many many of these petrified corals. One of these was a great specimen. Most that we saw (they were all over) were not that great looking. These are Rugose Coral, probably Acrocyathus.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bottom
Posted Image

http://s-seriesforum...al_05.sized.jpg
Posted Image

Side
Posted Image

Here is a HUGE geode that I found in the headwaters of the Green River in KY. The areas from Garrard/Lincoln counties down south is full of geodes. There are nearly as many geodes as the bedrock as there is sandstone/limestone rocks. The upper Green, Buck Creek, and Dix River are packed full of Geodes. I have found 3-4 different mineral types there, but most are some type of Quartz. I have several geodes in my tank and some outside in a bucket waiting to be used. This one is part of my landscaping. There are also beautiful agates found here in Central KY, but I have yet to find one and cut it open. I know these are not fish, but they are related. Maybe we need a native geology section, or that may be getting too far off the topic of native fish.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I thought these were interesting and look forward to getting back down there to do some more rock collecting.

#2 Guest_exasperatus2002_*

Guest_exasperatus2002_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:52 AM

Wow, once in a blue moon I'll find a clam fossil or quartzite crystals but never anything else.

#3 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

Very cool fossils, but is this, you know, fish related?
I would love to have the fossil corals in my tanks, though.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

Cool finds. Fish related or not, I love to see photos of anything wild or natural. The chaplain river in Perryville, near Danville is loaded with geodes. Been years since I have been there, but used to spend a lot of time in that stream as a youngster.

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:15 AM

Very cool fossils, but is this, you know, fish related?
I would love to have the fossil corals in my tanks, though.

Yeah, it is fish related. I wouldn't find mailing you one, though the shipping may be expensive. PM me if you'd be interested. I'm not positive when I'll be back down there. I do imagine it will be before winter.

I love photos of nature as well. I really wish I would have taken my camera that day. We canoed down Buck creek and it is BEAUTIFUL! There was one area of a bunch of large caves carved out of the limestone rock wall. Some of them where 100ft up the wall and appeared to be very very deep. I love getting in a canoe and going down a creek/river. You reach areas that are virtually untouch by human hands, nature is stunning. We also went to a place called 'Short Creek' that day to look around. It's called the shortest creek in KY, though it's a Karst window. On the canoe we went past where this flows into the creek. You could hear/see all the little waterways flowing right out of the ground.

Simply AWESOME! Short Creek KY

Posted Image
That water is COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:11 AM

Josh, could you by chance PM me the location of short creek? It sure looks like a place that I would love to show my boys.
Matt

#7 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

Josh, I happened across the very same location a couple of years back. It sure is interesting but Matt, it's heavily traveled and pretty well trashed (beer bottles and garbage).

#8 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

Josh, I happened across the very same location a couple of years back. It sure is interesting but Matt, it's heavily traveled and pretty well trashed (beer bottles and garbage).

I was just there last week. It was very clean. I didn't see any garbage around. It is privately owned but open to the public. There is a sign up that says something like "welcome to short creek, no fires, partying, etc..." I would like to go back and go in the lower cave to explore a bit.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

Sweet, then I won't have to worry about cleaning up after myself. Me and the kids can just chuck our trash in the stream. :tongue:

Good to hear it is cleaned up Josh. I must check it out. This reminds me of a story back in my young party days. I did a great deal of camping back then, and knew on short backpack trips to pack whiskey. Light, and little trash. Well, I took a couple of guys to Red river gorge, and we packed in about 2 miles to camp. Their packs were full of all kinds of non essentials and beer for two nights. Lots of cans. When we were breaking camp, I was totally speechless when one of the guys gave me flack about picking up our trash. He was insisting that we could just leave it because the rangers would come and get it. That was part of their jobs to hike two miles back into the woods to clean up after campers. Well the trash was packed out, and I never camped with this slug again. Kind of had to be there to actually feel the stupidity pouring out of his body, but, that's the best I can do with the story.

Thanks for the location Josh, I will be sure to trash it up a bit. :twisted:

Edited by Skipjack, 04 September 2010 - 09:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users