What to feed a baby cray?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bloomonkeys_*

Guest_Bloomonkeys_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:21 PM

I caught a baby cray 3 fourths of an cm long in Malibu canyon rock pool. I was wondering what he eats, in the pond there are micro organisms and they live on the alegy. I caught some and he likes to go after them but never seems to catch any, should i culture them or look for an alternative food source, and what is a good alternative food source.

#2 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

Fish food is fine. They'll eat anything, really.

#3 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

Fish food is fine. They'll eat anything, really.

Shrimp pellets are good too, I'll also break an algae wafer in half or quarters.

#4 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:06 PM

My big cray likes bottom feeder shrimp pellets.

#5 Guest_Okiimiru_*

Guest_Okiimiru_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

Why not try microworms? They're very easy to culture. You just add some microworms to a tupperware container with some mashed cereal, oatmeal, or a watery slice of bread in it. They reproduce and climb up the side and you scrape them off and add them to the aquarium. Oh, here are some instructions with pictures. http://aqualandpetsp... Microworms.htm

#6 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

Microworms are WAY more work than a baby crayfish requires :)

They are omnivores, but not generally active hunters unless starving. One that small won't be able to catch much in the way of live food, and they do better on vegetable material anyway as a staple. A dead leaf is a convenient food you can just leave in the bottom of the tank for him, and all the above mentioned processed foods are good.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

Another vote for shrimp pellets.

#8 Guest_Bloomonkeys_*

Guest_Bloomonkeys_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

how about betta bits???, plus he only seems to go after the small moving animals. plus i found him in a diverse invoroment, he lived in a rock pool with only 2 types of alegy and micro organism i described earlier as food, so taking that into consideration what could he eat that i could buy at my local pet store.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

Yeah, shrimp pellets are your best bet, followed by any other convenient food. Microworms are a nice idea, but probably overkill, but if you like the idea of food cultures(I do) then go ahead. Crays will eat about anything. A leaf was mentioned before. There is good merit to this as any decaying vegetation will harbor great amounts of bacteria that crayfish will thrive upon.

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:35 PM

If Betta bits sink, they will feed your crayfish. Crayfish do not have high nutritional needs unless you are trying to put on fast growth. They only grow with a molt, and the time between molts will vary upon nutrition. In other words, your crayfish will be the exact same size he is today, until his next molt. Then, almost magically, he will nearly double in size. They will molt infrequently if only provided algae as fodder, but if you put higher octane foods into it, it will molt more frequently. It can be plenty healthy on either low octane, or high octane. You really can't screw up the feeding of crayfish.

#11 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:42 PM

Pretty much anything that is or was alive in the tank will be eaten. There is a very good chance you will never see it eat. Anything you put in there that is soft enough to be eaten will be. If it doesn't eat it at first it eventualy will get hungry and eat it later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users