new england sea coast bio blitz

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:17 PM

I have heard people mention bio blitz's here before and I have largely ignored them. Now I heard of a relatively local one and am debating whether I should go or not.

I was looking up information on Odiorne Point and stumbled across the seacoast science center saying it would be hosting a bioblitz next weekend. Information on it is here.

http://www.seacoasts...ter.org/events/

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

I recommend them. You'll see things you've never heard of, or had no idea would be present.

#3 Guest_MikeFuture_*

Guest_MikeFuture_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

BioBlitz's are fun. I was on a herpetology team last year but there was an ichthyology team, mammalogy team, etc. We were based at a zoo and we all slept in the education center on the floor. Actually, I only slept 2 hours in a 24 hour period.

I recommend you get involved.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:41 AM

They're lots of fun. I've helped put together a couple of smaller ones in Middle Tennessee. The hardcore bioblitzes, like those for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park's ATBI (All Taxa Biodiversity Inventory) are supposed to be unreal.

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:11 PM

They're lots of fun. I've helped put together a couple of smaller ones in Middle Tennessee. The hardcore bioblitzes, like those for the Great Smoky Mountains National Park's ATBI (All Taxa Biodiversity Inventory) are supposed to be unreal.

It was fun, I'd do a trip report but their wasn't much fish caught (just mummichogs) so I am not sure it would be allowed. I wish each collecting trip was longer than an hour. I arrived too late to do the birding, insects, or freshwater ponds trip as my car had a tire blowout and i needed to be towed and repaired.

I also took pictures of the fish tanks at the science center but I am not sure that would be allowed either as it is someone elses tank.

#6 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

The 2014 bioblitz had been announced for September. It will have some potentially fish focused events like Freshwater Ponds, Seining, Tide Pooling, and Salt Marshes.

https://www.z2system....jsp?event=122

#7 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

Just registered for BioBlitz today. I am looking forward to it as the New England coast is entering a period of discovery as southern species are using the warming ocean to move north lead to surprises. (This year it was a sand tiger caught off the jetty at this very park!). So I am looking forward to see if bioblitz has any new discoveries for our region.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users