New crayfish

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

I caught this big girl(I'm pretty sure it's a girl) out of a stream where I had previously caught much smaller crayfish. I never would have even looked for her if I hadn't seem her molt while I was chasing some small minnows with a dip net. I saw the molt and did a little detective work. There were only 2 rocks big enough for her to hide under in the small shallow pool I was in. She was under the first rock I checked. I'm about 90% positive that she's a female Orconectes virilis but I'd love to get some verification. If so she's in a stream where there used to be Cambarus bartonii but since they drained a lake above the stream where I go to I haven't seen any (since the early spring). I'm really hoping they haven't been driven out by the O.virilis or O.limosus that I've also caught in the stream since they drained the lake.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

That's awesome. I generally never go looking specifically for crayfish but happen upon monsters like the one in your pic when flipping rocks looking for darters. Nothing like a good scare when a baby Maine lobster comes shooting out! I bet as luck would have it, you probably find darters under more rocks as myself and many forum members find crayfish.

Maybe I need a new mindset when flipping rocks. Anyway, cool find.
Nick L.

#3 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:54 AM

I'm more of a crayfish collector so finding a big cray is always fun. Having a net along is nice since the big guys can hurt a bit more and don't like to let go. I saw a lot of darter this weekend flipping rocks on the Delaware river but sadly forgot a net. I saw the biggest darter I've ever seen under a rock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users