Thumbs up for the like button?

17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Okiimiru_*

Guest_Okiimiru_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

Can we get the option back to like a post? I see people saying good things and I want to click a "Like" button (like there is on facebook).

I can understand why there isn't a red minus button anymore (to keep things from being negative), but it would be nice to be able to positively reinforce a statement by 'liking' it.

#2 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:13 AM

I think that having something of that nature may be beneficial if it is not abused. For instance, the reputation system contributes directly to a forum member, giving them a +/- on their profile. But a 'like' or 'supported' button for a particular post may be good if used correctly. For example, I rarely post on some subjects either because someone else has already added their opinion or experience that closely resembles mine. I simply will not post because I hate posting just to say "Ditto. My experience is the same as (NAME)" or "I agree with the previous post".

Perhaps newcomers that search the board will find a thread with a few posts that say "This post has been supported by (#) members", assuring them that the information they are looking at has been seconded by other members. However, like the reputation system, I fear people will just click away at everything they see and think is good. It just has the potential to get out of hand.

#3 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:09 AM

Ditto. I think it is a good idea to have the thumbs up button.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

Agree, might even cut down on posts that say, " I agree" I like the feature.

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

Well, a long story short - We put the system in to reduce chatter. It worked but was met with several complaints. The negative feature was removed in lieu of banning members who abused the feature. Upon removing the negative feature we were met with complaints. Every step of the way we were met with some sort of complaint about this feature and even thought I personally like it, I'm not sure we need more polarizing issues on the forum at this time.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

Well, a long story short - We put the system in to reduce chatter. It worked but was met with several complaints. The negative feature was removed in lieu of banning members who abused the feature. Upon removing the negative feature we were met with complaints. Every step of the way we were met with some sort of complaint about this feature and even thought I personally like it, I'm not sure we need more polarizing issues on the forum at this time.

It is sad that this is a polarizing issue. I graduated high school years ago. Personally, I trust you guys completely, and thought the forum ran best under your original platform, and am glad to see the changes that have come about recently. You all are doing a great job getting us back on track. Thanks!

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

Uland, I kind of agree. I liked the feature because it was so much fun. Eventually things would have settled down. But it is a fact that long-time forum participants don't like change. That includes me, and I didn't like the IDEA of a thumbs-down button, but I did like it in practice. Well thankfully I didn't get banned!

While we're on the subject, I am wondering about the time limit on when you can go back and edit a post. Let's say I got really drunk and posted something totally off the wall, or it was otherwise objectionable or inaccurate (heh heh :closedeyes:). Then the next day I was sorry and wanted to change it. The current time limit is what - 30 minutes or something? Can that be extended? Hey, I'm not saying I would do such a thing! I'm just askin'...

#8 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

We have gone back and forth with the time limit over the years Martin and we feel that the current level actually works best. If you were to hypothetically find yourself in the aforementioned situation just PM one of the admins and we can do our best to remove foot from mouth.

#9 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:50 AM

Martin, you are a real hoot! I'd guess people new to the forum don't know when to take you seriously. If you ever drunk post something regrettable, I'll be sure to make it bold and pin it: :fishy:

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:43 PM

Martin, you are a real hoot! I'd guess people new to the forum don't know when to take you seriously. If you ever drunk post something regrettable, I'll be sure to make it bold and pin it: :fishy:

Well, you've missed SEVERAL opportunities already!

#11 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:03 AM

By choosing not to do anything,
as the saying goes, you have made a decision,
which therefore can be the source of complaints.

#12 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:51 AM

By choosing not to do anything,
as the saying goes, you have made a decision,
which therefore can be the source of complaints.

What is up with the riddles? *shakes head*
You are upset because this isn't the Official Forum of Phil? Is that what you are trying to get at?

We noticed it wasn't being used anymore so we removed it. Maybe the staff will look at reimplementing the feature.

#13 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

New Forum rule: all posts should be composed as haikus.

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

Or be overly sarcastic... You guys seem to be missing Phil's point... the comment originally was that something was not being done because some people didn't like it, or might not like it... but we always run that risk... everything we do... and everything we don't do, might make people angry... so we need to make decisions more based on what we think is right or what we think is best for the organization...

Of course I will admit it is harder when we have such a vocal online community... because its hard to tell where the 'majority' is... assuming that we are trying to please the majority (as one of the definitions of 'doing what is right' in a democracy)... which may have been what was originally intended when Uland made the original statement.

Of course we are always going to try things out on the forum, and some will work best for most of the members and some will not. We tried thumbs up and down, and I guess the forum staff decided that it did not add much benefit for most of the people... it is a natural part of trying things out that some things will work and should be kept and something will not and should be eliminated.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#15 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, really, it's just that Phil's post has unusual internal structure and flow. Michael's right, though, the Forum is one continuous experiment to see what will work, with no clear right or wrong. The staff seeks to serve.

#16 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:50 PM

You've done as asked
Your short welcome is now over
Goodbye red button

Red yelling letters!
Angry, angry signature
Please go away

#17 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:50 PM

hmmmm, I had forgot about the +,- system until I read this...

#18 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

Phil's post has unusual internal structure and flow

Bruce, that is priceless!

Uland...

Youse guys crack me up :laugh:

I pay attention to Phil. I am interested in his opinion. I don't want to see him beat up on any more than I like seeing the moderators trodden underfoot. But still, that was funny!

Edited by Irate Mormon, 17 September 2010 - 10:00 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users