Hello From NY

17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ricardo_*

Guest_Ricardo_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:59 PM

Hello everyone,

Taking a moment to introduce myself here. I'm from NY and just got into native fishes. It's always been an interest that I just never got around to doing. I also keep tropicals and dwarf shrimps. I'm into quite a few things like metal detecting, freshwater fishing, cycling and a few others, however, aquariums are something I've been doing since I was a little kid, and the interest is still going strong. I recently made a purchase from one of the vendors here and am already enjoying this new sector of fish keeping.

Ricardo

Edited by Ricardo, 16 September 2010 - 10:59 PM.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:20 AM

Welcome Ricardo, I think you've come to the right place.

#3 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:14 AM

Welcome to the forums Ricardo.

#4 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:42 PM

im confused....if we talk about being legal on this site...why were blue-spotted sunfish sold to him? they are protected in NY and they are native and you are not allowed to have native fish from that state as pet. ](*,)

but welcome to the forum. i also keep bluespotted sunfish. some people have shyness issues with them. i do not and i see by your other thread that you do not either.

correct me if i am wrong about any of this.

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

Welcome to the NANFA forum Ricardo, I'm glad you found us.

Justin,
We indeed often talk about the legal issue that surround native fishes and this is done in public.
We know Ricardo just joined the forum and he indicates that he just bought the fish. He's probably not yet aware of his local laws regarding the species he now has and I am far less acquainted with NY state law that probably you.
I would guess Ricardo bought fish from Florida and perhaps they are a not yet recognized subspecies of the Bluespotted sunfish found in NY?
Perhaps some New Yorkers can shed some light on this subject? In NY if you have a receipt, you may not keep a fish even though you can prove it came from out of state?
I'm not doubting you Justin, just seeing if our new guest might have some shelter on this.

#6 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

Welcome to the NANFA forum Ricardo, I'm glad you found us.

Justin,
We indeed often talk about the legal issue that surround native fishes and this is done in public.
We know Ricardo just joined the forum and he indicates that he just bought the fish. He's probably not yet aware of his local laws regarding the species he now has and I am far less acquainted with NY state law that probably you.
I would guess Ricardo bought fish from Florida and perhaps they are a not yet recognized subspecies of the Bluespotted sunfish found in NY?
Perhaps some New Yorkers can shed some light on this subject? In NY if you have a receipt, you may not keep a fish even though you can prove it came from out of state?
I'm not doubting you Justin, just seeing if our new guest might have some shelter on this.

i def could be wrong. and i hope that i am wrong. but the way i took it from the officer was no native fish. no native anything for that matter.

#7 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

I was once told by the Illinois DNR that nobody in the USA could keep any native fish in any aquarium and that law applies to Illinois as well. Justin, you could be right on this one but the Illinois DNR person I spoke to was most certainly wrong.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

i def could be wrong. and i hope that i am wrong. but the way i took it from the officer was no native fish. no native anything for that matter.

So no one in NY owns any pigeons or doves? No magicians at kids parties? No more raising homing pigeons on the roof tops of of big cities? It sounds like an exaggerated statement... easy to say, and probably mostly accurate... but likely not absolute.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:12 PM

i know it sounds crazy. they said earthworms and tadpoles had to be removed from classrooms. im sure there are exceptions...but prob not for buying a protected fish out of state and bringing it in the state its protected in lol

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

So no one in NY owns any pigeons or doves? No magicians at kids parties? No more raising homing pigeons on the roof tops of of big cities? It sounds like an exaggerated statement... easy to say, and probably mostly accurate... but likely not absolute.

Pigeons are exotic to North America, native to Europe. My guess is that if you're breeding them on a roof in the South Bronx no one will come around and bother you...

#11 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find whatever info you need, I'm sure someone will figure out any legal issues.

#12 Guest_Ricardo_*

Guest_Ricardo_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:21 PM

Pigeons are exotic to North America, native to Europe. My guess is that if you're breeding them on a roof in the South Bronx no one will come around and bother you...

I consider myself a responsible aquarist, I do not own or purchase anything that I cannot provide a permanent home for. Whatever I have in my tanks will stay there until they die. With that said, I apologize if I stand on a gray line or on the other side of it. I am very familiar with the laws of this state, and as you said in a post I read here bumpylemon, I will be and probably am a rebel.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, or cause a stir. I am however a realistic person and use my own judgement in making decisions. Such is life.

Ricardo

Edited by Ricardo, 17 September 2010 - 09:22 PM.

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

I am however a realistic person and use my own judgement in making decisions. Such is life.

O:)

#14 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:19 AM

I consider myself a responsible aquarist, I do not own or purchase anything that I cannot provide a permanent home for. Whatever I have in my tanks will stay there until they die. With that said, I apologize if I stand on a gray line or on the other side of it. I am very familiar with the laws of this state, and as you said in a post I read here bumpylemon, I will be and probably am a rebel.

I don't mean to offend anyone here, or cause a stir. I am however a realistic person and use my own judgement in making decisions. Such is life.

Ricardo

Right On!
Abolition creates black markets which are no good -not to mention high prices. If having native fish should be illegal, then having non native fish should definitely be illegal. Look at the damage that has been done by invasives. How about those large ships which have brought in invasive gobies (which are taking over the St Lawrence watershed), carp,... and possibly VHS. From what I last read it was a marine vhs that mutated and is killing off native fish.
Maybe people should have to take a serious test and get a license to own any pet.
Welcome to the forum BTW!

Edited by Elijah, 18 September 2010 - 12:31 AM.

#15 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:27 PM

Hello everyone,

Taking a moment to introduce myself here. I'm from NY and just got into native fishes. It's always been an interest that I just never got around to doing. I also keep tropicals and dwarf shrimps. I'm into quite a few things like metal detecting, freshwater fishing, cycling and a few others, however, aquariums are something I've been doing since I was a little kid, and the interest is still going strong. I recently made a purchase from one of the vendors here and am already enjoying this new sector of fish keeping.

Ricardo

Welcome to the forum -
Where abouts in NY are you?
I'm on Long Island.
- Jan

#16 Guest_KeepsNatives_*

Guest_KeepsNatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

Welcome to the forum =D>

#17 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

Welcome, for a minute there I thought I was a new member again.

#18 Guest_davidjh2_*

Guest_davidjh2_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

Hehe there's going to be some confusion over your names.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users