sunfish

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

Had a newbie (even more so than myself) out this morning as he's gaining interest in native fish collecting, plus I needed a few darters for myself. Anyway, we caught quite a few yoy sunfish which I was unable to identify. I don't know what it takes to id sunfish this small, but here are the photos I was able to get:

Oh, Blanchard River, Findlay Ohio.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by star5328, 30 September 2010 - 04:55 PM.

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:02 PM

I'd guess warmouth or green

#3 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:09 PM

almost positively not a warmouth because I don't think they're in there. Could be a green, has red in its eyes and the fins are tinted red

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

The safe bet is always green... but from what the photos show I'd say green with more confidence, with the red/orange in the fins and the large mouth displayed in one of the pictures.

#5 Guest_sunny17_*

Guest_sunny17_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:29 PM

yea, sure looks like young Green to me.

#6 Guest_NCNativeFish_*

Guest_NCNativeFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

I caught some that looked exactly like this just thinking they were lighter-colored bluegills, but once in the aquarium their coloring turned into unmistakable warmouth. They are in fact native from Minnesota to western Pennsylvania.

#7 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:31 PM

Has to be green I think because there shouldn't be warmouth

#8 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

In the immortal words of Irate, When all else fails, it`s a green.

#9 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:38 AM

In the immortal words of Irate, When all else fails, it`s a green.

A pitty I know all my local sunfish because I live outside the range of the green. A few times I was almost tempted to post a sunny pic to ask how many would say green anyways but never did as it would be a waste of forum space.

everyone gets the blues sometime, but not everyone has the greens.

#10 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

i have yet to catch a bluegill, ive caught a longear and theyre much more rare in ontario than bluegill are :rolleyes:

#11 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:37 AM

I can't tell for sure what these are from the pics, but I think humilis are in the Blanchard.

#12 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:01 AM

I can't tell for sure what these are from the pics, but I think humilis are in the Blanchard.

What are you saying?

#13 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:10 AM

I have also never caught a green I catch bluegills and pumpkinseeds the mot. But Bluegills only at one lake. Skipjack is suggesting that orangespots may be in your area. i.e a species suggestion.

#14 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

Looks like it could be a green, but the mouth seems to small. I know they ain't very common up there, but that looks an awful lot like a young redbreast to me. And they do have pretty large mouths as far as most sunfish go, so it could be a possibility. But like a said, they ain't near as common up there as they are down here. Feel free to correct me if they ain't found in the Blanchard River.

#15 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

To me it kind of looks like an orangespotted.

#16 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:17 PM

Let's be honest, with those photos all we really know is that we're looking at a Lepomis species.

#17 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

What are you saying?

What I am saying is that your photos are not good enough for ID. I would not rule out orange spotted sunfish, I believe the Blanchard is full of them, and that was my first thought when I saw these fish. I am not that good with juvenile sunfish, and am only able to suggest that you don't overlook OSS as a posibility. Good luck with the ID.

#18 Guest_star5328_*

Guest_star5328_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

I think for the most part its bluegill, green sunfish, northern longear in the blanchard. Could be more but they certainly are not abundant, atleast i've never seen anything other than those 3 in my 3 times sampling at this location.

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

May be off base, but thought that I had heard from Brian, or Nate that they were in the Blanchard. I am terrible with juvenile sunfish, but did not want you to overlook that possibility, and just run with the standard green sunfish ID. :smile2:

#20 Guest_MrCatfish_*

Guest_MrCatfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

They are found in the Blanchard. I live a quarter of a mile from it and I catch them all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users