ID these madtoms (lots of pictures)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:08 PM

I went out fishing this morning in a river and notice some little catfish darting between rocks, I pulled out my little net to check and these are what I had found. First a locational image incase that might help ID. I caught about 20-30 different catfish.. In the water they were all yellowish green with white lower wiskers and atleast one dark saddle across the back (didn't come through well in the pictures...() Any help would be great!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:08 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

They seem a bit on the skinny side...

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

With a pretty distinctive pale saddle in front of their dorsal fin. I hope you disinfected or dried your nets for a day or two since you also have zebra mussels in a few pictures.

#5 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

stonecat?

#6 Guest_FishheadDave_*

Guest_FishheadDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

Can you give us a geographic location?

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

If these are from Wisconsin, it looks like you have stumbled upon a hot spot for a state endangered fish. Pretty cool.

#8 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

These were sampled near Delafield Wi.. unknown name of the stream.

Yes, I let my nets sun dry until their next use (which won't be until next year..)

Skipjack, you confirm that it is one of our endangered species.... it is a good thing then to see them in high numbers. When I first saw them I suspected it might be a threatened species/endangered, I was walking SOO carefully through that area..

the stream is beautiful, and I am happy to see such a thriving place for these..

Edited by NVCichlids, 13 October 2010 - 03:56 PM.

#9 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:33 PM

These were sampled near Delafield Wi.. unknown name of the stream.

Yes, I let my nets sun dry until their next use (which won't be until next year..)

Skipjack, you confirm that it is one of our endangered species.... it is a good thing then to see them in high numbers. When I first saw them I suspected it might be a threatened species/endangered, I was walking SOO carefully through that area..

the stream is beautiful, and I am happy to see such a thriving place for these..

they look to be a slender madtom Noturus exilis.
and skipjack is right let them go back and be free.

#10 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:17 PM

they look to be a slender madtom Noturus exilis.
and skipjack is right let them go back and be free.

And that was my thought as well at the stream.. and yes they are free in the river. I was just excited to see them (and I had no idea when I finally found some to photograph, i'd find soo many!)

#11 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:33 PM

And that was my thought as well at the stream.. and yes they are free in the river. I was just excited to see them (and I had no idea when I finally found some to photograph, i'd find soo many!)

we often find the same thing here, when a mirco riffle area is right for them we find many in numbers as well.
i use state electro shock data sheets to find a likely area to net.
if the state can shock some up you know there must be more then high numbers in the area.

#12 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

but when a species is endangered/threatened in our state, they will not publish the data on where the species are located. I really thought I would find tadpole madtoms and stonecats (as I have seen them before there..)

#13 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:05 AM

but when a species is endangered/threatened in our state, they will not publish the data on where the species are located. I really thought I would find tadpole madtoms and stonecats (as I have seen them before there..)

pm sent on how to find fish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users