Suckerfish Id

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_minnowmagnet_*

Guest_minnowmagnet_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

I got these little guys a couple months ago in a feeder tank at petco and am not sure what type of suckers they are? I am thinking sacramento suckers are likly, but im not sure where the feeders are from. They are currently in my 55g with a piar of small bass.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

Looks like Erimyzon sp. to me. Whether it is lake or creek chubsuckers, I don't know. Many feeder shipments come in from Florida, and that makes me think lake chubsucker.

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:02 PM

It looks like a small white sucker to me. I doubt it is a Sacramento sucker as they have a relatively restricted range and I don't know of any minnow farms in the central valley. I work at Petco and we get our feeder shipments from Arkansas, but the ones in your district may have a different supplier. In any case, I doubt they are a California native.

#4 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

Kanus, You're probably right. The overall body shape and shape of snout isn't matching Erimyzon, and certainly looks to be a white sucker. I posted hastily after reading they were with feeders. :wacko: Thank goodness there are no more 'negative' buttons.

#5 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:14 AM

Clearly a Catostomus, but too many dorsal rays (I see 14, assuming last is branched at base?) for a white sucker, but within range for C. occidentalis. Macro shot of lips, mouth closed, from below, would provide confirmation... but not many other likely options. Mixed in with feeders, huh? Weird...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users