Madtom Substrate

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PeterE_*

Guest_PeterE_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

Hey everybody, I guess the title says most of it. I caught a couple of tadpole madtoms, and I've been housing them in a small tank with a sort of sharp gravel substrate for plants, Flourite. I've seen my madtoms trying to burrow into it and I was just wondering if you guys had any experience with these little guys. Do they burrow? Would sand be better? Thanks!

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

They will burrow if they can, but they'll also use crevices under stones or logs. I usually find them in loose, organic substrate; they might not be able to burrow in sand or gravel as well as some other madtoms do.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:19 PM

I have some Elegant and Mountain Madtoms. I have seen them moving small gravel from under large rocks to hide in. My substrate is small smooth gravel. I have noticed that they will hide under/in anything they can get their bodies into.

#4 Guest_PeterE_*

Guest_PeterE_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 06:02 PM

Thanks. Yeah, one of my madtoms lodges itself behind the heater under the filter at the surface of the tank, and the other squeezes between an Anubias plant and a rock. I think they should be fine. They are really interesting little creatures.

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

I have tried to create hiding spots for my madtoms. They usually don't use them and find their own.

I have to ask though, what kind of fish are you keeping that you'll need a heater?

#6 Guest_PeterE_*

Guest_PeterE_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

Hah, I don't. The tank was just previously used for tropicals, and I've been to lazy to take it out. :rolleyes:

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:56 PM

Hey everybody, I guess the title says most of it. I caught a couple of tadpole madtoms, and I've been housing them in a small tank with a sort of sharp gravel substrate for plants, Flourite. I've seen my madtoms trying to burrow into it and I was just wondering if you guys had any experience with these little guys. Do they burrow? Would sand be better? Thanks!

Well, "Match the Hatch", as they say. What kind of substrate did you catch them over?

#8 Guest_PeterE_*

Guest_PeterE_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

Silty sand and gravel. Definitely no sharp rocks. I think I might do what I've heard of people doing for fry and just put sand in over the gravel (being careful not to bury the madtoms). That would be easy and it would look better anyway.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users