Darter equipment

24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NCNativeFish_*

Guest_NCNativeFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:51 AM

So, without having to do extensive research, I was wondering what the best way to sample darters would be. I've caught a few Johnny Darters in a dipnet here and there, but I'm looking more at mountain streams with minimal water, making a dipnet more or less useless. As far as buying equipment goes, I tend to be very impulsive, so I just wanted some input before I put money into something.

#2 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:33 AM

The best way? I'd say that's a matter of opinion and depends on the specific situation. From my standpoint, I'd say a seine is the best general sampling device but then again, I don't have permits for electrical equipment.
The width and depth you choose depends largely on if you have a partner, the size of water to intend to sample and don't forget state regulations might also limit you.
While I don't have mountains in Illinois, I've been lucky to have had the chance to sample in elevated areas in the south-east on a few occasions. A 6' wide X 4' deep seine served me well.

#3 Guest_PeterE_*

Guest_PeterE_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:08 PM

I agree with Uland. If they are legal, the water is about knee deep, and isn't really fast, seines are the way to go. Electrical equipment will probably catch you more fish, but the difference in cost between the two is huge.

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:33 PM

I like dipnetting if I'm by myself. Seining is good with multiple people. I haven't had any problems getting my net in good positions and I've sampled many mountain streams.

Position your net at the lower end of a riffle and kick up rocks upstream of your net and move toward the net, works good for me.

#5 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 06:30 PM

I like my 4' x 4' seine if I'm by myself, it's great for darters.

#6 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:34 PM

I like my 4' x 4' seine if I'm by myself, it's great for darters.

Can you describe how you hold and manipulate the 4x4 seine net to catch?

#7 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:33 PM

I'll try! To catch darters, I find a spot in some rocky riffles. Then I position the seine, sometimes I do it carefully and sometimes I just sort of flip the bottom away from me. Put the bottom of the seine in where the current is strongest, don't stretch it out tight, but leave some "bag" in it, the fish will go into the bag. The bigger the bag is, the less likely the fish are to swim back out. If it is legal and you are able to use a 4' x 6' or 4' x 8' seine, you may get more fish. I don't have the arm reach or strength to use a bigger one effectively.

After the seine is in place, I go upstream while holding the seine's brails, keeping in mind the brails should be leaning away from you. Then I start sweeping my feet back and forth across the rocks, kicking them around and stirring up sediment. Darters like to be in the rocks in the current, so this disturbs them and they go downstream into the seine. Kick your way toward the seine, and lift it up. Hopefully it's full of darters!

#8 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:23 PM

Check the NC-WRC list of trout streams online. It's illegal to seine in designated trout waters, unless you have a scientific collecting permit. But there are many small mountain streams (some with trout) that are not designated trout streams.

#9 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

...I'm looking more at mountain streams with minimal water, making a dipnet more or less useless...

Don't give up on your dipnet just yet. If you are alone, it can be the best way even in small mountain streams. The key is for the net to have a flat side, and to put it down against the streambed, then kick the rocks above it so darters are flushed into the net.

I think this method has been described a couple times on the forum. If you search around you can probably find a better description than I just gave.

Good luck!

#10 Guest_DarkMousy_*

Guest_DarkMousy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:32 AM

Mountain streams with minimal water - how small are we talking here, like less than a foot wide or a few feet across, etc? For super tiny tributaries that are about a foot in width, I find those cheap wire framed aquarium dipnets work best simply because you can bend them to the shape of the streambed and to fit into crevices you otherwise wouldn't be able to cover.

#11 Guest_FishheadDave_*

Guest_FishheadDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:34 AM

Mountain streams with minimal water - how small are we talking here, like less than a foot wide or a few feet across, etc? For super tiny tributaries that are about a foot in width, I find those cheap wire framed aquarium dipnets work best simply because you can bend them to the shape of the streambed and to fit into crevices you otherwise wouldn't be able to cover.

I've even used little aquarium dip nets for electrofishing those types of habitats. Under the right conditions, they are far more effective than a full-size dip net, and at around $3, whats not to like?

#12 Guest_NCNativeFish_*

Guest_NCNativeFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:47 PM

The places I'm looking at are riffles no more than 3 feet across (probably an average of 1-1 1/2 feet) and MAYBE 6" deep at its deepest with deeper pools in between.

#13 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:51 PM

Umm, what are you looking for because that's NOT where most of the cool diversity is...

unless you really, really, really like fantail darters.

#14 Guest_NCNativeFish_*

Guest_NCNativeFish_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

Umm, what are you looking for because that's NOT where most of the cool diversity is...

unless you really, really, really like fantail darters.

I mean I'm just looking to see whats out there, but feel free to direct me.

#15 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

Here is my net, for now.

This is attached to a paint roller pole I got at Lowes. The net is about 12-15in deep, and roughly 12-15 across. It works great. The net came from the pool section at Walmart.

Posted Image

#16 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:40 PM

Dave is right; Northwest NC doesn't have any darters that specialize in headwater springs like AL and some othet states do. Headwater creeks less than 10 ft wide often just have fantail and tesselated darters. Look for creeks about 20 ft or wider to find more species: greenfin, greenside, gilt, swannanoa, banded, kanawha, redline, seagreen, appalachia,... Although sometimes you can find these in tiny creeks close to where they join a bigger creek or river.

I mean I'm just looking to see whats out there, but feel free to direct me.

#17 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:13 PM

Shameless Self Promotion:

For a very small stream like that, my Perfect Dipnet works great. A seine can be difficult to use well in small water. Not that I haven't used them in the like. The Perfect Dipnet has a strong, half inch aluminum bow that protects the netting and is sturdy enough to be jammed into the substrate, preventing fishes from slipping underneath in shallow water. It's ideal for one-person use. Place the net on the stream bottom, back yourself upstream holding the handle with one hand. Then "kick", sliding your feet side-to-side, through the substrate down to where the net is positioned. Lift and sort your catch. Please dipnet responsibly :smile2:

Edited by itsme, 18 November 2010 - 06:15 PM.

#18 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:54 PM

I'll vouch for Mark. One of my graduate students has a Perfect Dipnet and it really does the job, certainly for typical darter streams.

#19 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:21 PM

Ditto that - the Perfect Dipnet is a serious darter tool. I own multiples.

#20 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

Ditto that - the Perfect Dipnet is a serious darter tool. I own multiples.

Though I use something else, I agree. Perfect Dipnet is on my Christmas list.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users