More small fish from Alabama

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cjr_*

Guest_cjr_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

Thanks everyone for the help in Iding these fishes. I come from a botany and herpetology background, with little experience with fish.

This one was from a small pond close to a large river in Clarke county AL

Attached File  DSCN7399.JPG   355.77KB   0 downloads

From the same pond, some type of gar I presume

Attached File  DSCN5854.JPG   663.27KB   0 downloads

The next two are from shallow ditches at Gulf State Park

mosquito fish right?
Attached File  DSCN6943a.JPG   785KB   0 downloads

?
Attached File  DSCN6939.JPG   620.62KB   0 downloads

Thanks!

#2 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

First one looks like an eastern mudminnow, spotted gar (just a guess) and mosquitofish.

#3 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

While it may sound like I'm discouraging you from posting in my following comment - I'm truly not.
For about $13 you can buy " Peterson's field guide of North American freshwater fishes" which helps a whole lot in both ID to the specie level but also will help you sort out what features separate the genera. The book is outdated though it's no fault of the authors. Since you're in Alabama I would be foolish to not also recommend Fishes of Alabama for less than $ 60.

Do you have any ID books currently? If so, we'll help in such a way that might help you learn the fish instead of just giving you an answer which may or may not help cement the ID.

Thanks for reading and keep posting fish!

#4 Guest_decal_*

Guest_decal_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:45 AM

Not familiar with the mudminnow and gar, but the last two are a sailfin molly and a golden topminnow, respectively. Both are fairly common, especially mollies near the coast. Check out the "Pictorial ID Key of Known Fishes" forum, it would be worth familiarizing yourself with the topminnows as you'll undoubtedly find more of them.

#5 Guest_Bloomonkeys_*

Guest_Bloomonkeys_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:06 PM

I personally would like to think the first picture is some sort of pygmy sunfish ( not that I know enough about the subject to answer that question)

#6 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:13 PM

The top fish is a common Elassoma species and the next fish is not a gar. This should guide you in the right direction.

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

The third and fourth photos are of a female mollie and a golden topminnow. I've still never done any collecting in Clarke County...

#8 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:12 PM

that looks more like a small pickerel than a gar but it is so pale i see no real markings to ID the species. Bands, chainsides, or spots (if it is a PIKEral) would be useful in that aspect.

#9 Guest_cjr_*

Guest_cjr_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:21 PM

Thanks everyone.

I do have a guide for the region I live in (midwest US), but I worked in Alabama for 4 months and just was curious about what kind of fish they have down there.

I forgot about pickerel, that would make more sense.

Thanks.

#10 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:08 PM

In that case, you have:

Male banded pygmy sunfish
Chain pickerel
Female sailfin molly
Female golden topminnow

Beautiful fish down there, huh?

1 user(s) are reading this topic