SRBD with extra R

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:50 PM

Scroll down on this link and look at the photo of the southern redbelly and redside daces. Why does the redbelly have red on it's side?

http://www.geaugapar...ioblitz06.shtml

Inquisitive in Ohio

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:23 PM

My first thought is, because it can. It certainly looks like an overage of red.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:32 PM

My first thought is, because it can. It certainly looks like an overage of red.

I agree. I've seined large schools of these and I've never seen one with that much red. I just wish they stayed like that in a tank :biggrin:

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:04 PM

I wonder if they kept him in a black bucket before taking that shot. I've seen some minnows with red/yellow pigments get brighter when held in a black bucket, for example crescent shiners. If not that, then maybe he's ashamed of his parents and wants to be a redside.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:07 PM

Well, it is obviously a hybrid. Obviously!

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:22 PM

I hate it when you say that... but it doesn't matter, because... it's gonna die!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:44 PM

It would be interesting to go to that collecting site and see if there are others with that extra red. Normally, they don't have red above the lower back stripe. Usually, it's kind of a reflective gold/bronze between the two stripes. I have SRBD from three drainages at the moment (not from the one in that link above). Only one of the strains is keeping nice, deep red on their bellies while out of spawning color (Little Miami drainage). A second one gets kinda red from time to time (Alum Creek/Scioto R drainage). The third was acquired last Monday. They haven't shown any red yet, but it seems like it takes a while for them to get settled in and happy. These were in full winter mode by now, so I'm not surprised by their lack of color (Big Darby/Scioto R drainage).

#8 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 11:49 PM

Looking at that Geauga Parks link again, I'd say those fish were in full spawning color. Am I wrong, do SRBD get red up that high when in spawning color?

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:06 PM

My in laws used to live across the street from a portion of Big Creek Park in Geauga Co and the creek flowed through their property for a couple hundred meters. I seined it a couple of times and found quite a few redside dace with that much color. I never saw any SRBD but having seen most of the other Chrosomus spp. in spawning colors I'd say that is nothing out of the ordinary, just not common.

#10 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

LOL!

Actually Phoxinus hybrids are much weirder than this. They tend to be all female and parthenogenic.

Actually that all red fish if not typical would probably be a cool mutant strain for domestic breeding.

Edited by FirstChAoS, 27 November 2010 - 10:52 PM.

#11 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

I have wondered about that fish also. But I haven't seen many SRBD to compare with.

I have checked out that park (as a result of that picture) to see what I could come up with. The only dace I caught were Blacknose. It is part of the Chagrin River watershed.

The one naturalist there used to be (maybe still is) a NANFA member, he might have more insight. I'll shoot them an email.

Andy

#12 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:11 PM

LOL!

Actually Phoxinus hybrids are much weirder than this. They tend to be all female and parthenogenic.

Actually that all red fish if not typical would probably be a cool mutant strain for domestic breeding.

Wow, that's wild. I had no idea. Yeah, I'm wondering if it'd be worth tracking them down to captive breed. Really, I'd like to develop a strain that keeps nice color all the time.

#13 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

I have wondered about that fish also. But I haven't seen many SRBD to compare with.

I have checked out that park (as a result of that picture) to see what I could come up with. The only dace I caught were Blacknose. It is part of the Chagrin River watershed.

The one naturalist there used to be (maybe still is) a NANFA member, he might have more insight. I'll shoot them an email.

Andy

Let me know what you find out. Are you in NE Ohio?

#14 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

Let me know what you find out. Are you in NE Ohio?

I emailed my friend about the fish and he is forwarding it on to the guy who caught those fish in the picture.

I am in NE Ohio, in Lake County.

Andy

#15 Guest_Elijah_*

Guest_Elijah_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:38 PM

I used to live near a pond that had NRBDs that colorful. I have never seen any like them since. They were outstanding! The pond is now a tiny stream, no more rbds.
I believe that they were stocked by someone, maybe they were SRBDs?
My NRBDs keep pretty good color now that I have them in a tank with black sand substrate, unfortunately all of my males have managed to jump out by the filter!

Edited by Elijah, 04 December 2010 - 07:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users