So my uncle asked about my fish keeping.....

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_HeadshotZod_*

Guest_HeadshotZod_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

The other night my uncle came in from California. So we were talking last night and he asked me about my tanks. Background->he's not an aquarist by any stretch and his wife had been a teacher so they had a 20 gallon tank about 25 years ago with the "usual suspects" of the hobby...... His wife also volunteers at the Birch Aquarium down in La Jolla. OK, so he asks "are they saltwater, freshwater are your fish exotic? So I thought deeply about it for a nano second and said "Yes.... exotic..... they're all American natives born and bred". Now today I've thinking about what I said and although the statement is true and somewhat humorous (for us), its still a sad statement on the heated tanks that the rest of planet is accustomed and marketed to. I.E. I just joined the NJAS, they have about 100 members and been around for about 50 years. I think am 1 of 3 people that enjoy natives there.

Figured I'd float that one out there for everybody.

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:31 PM

If it makes you feel better, it's because of you and people like you that I started keeping native fish. I wouldn't be a NANFA member if it wasn't for NANFA. If that makes any sense?

I first got into native fish by buying Etheostoma spectabile from Brian Zimmerman on aquabid. Then I joined NANFA to ask questions from ya'all about how to care for them. Then I discovered pygmy sunfish (I adore tiny colorful fish) and long story short I went from not even realizing we had fish native to the US to now keeping a species of them and caring about the others.

So... progress. Your efforts are not entirely in vain.

#3 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:26 PM

I've been leading native fish field trips for Raleigh Aquarium Society for 20-ish years, and while we've never had more than a few folks seriously interested in keeping natives, there's loads of tropical keepers who like to come along to have fun, take pix and learn about how wild fish live. The things we learn about fish and aquatic habitats by watching and catching natives are certainly applicable to tropical fish keeping too.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users