Fundraising

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

It has become evident recently to me that fudraising is something that NANFA as a non profit is lacking. I am going to try to put together a grassroots fundraising campaign with some wealthy individuals that I am in close contact with. My angle at the moment is Ohio, and hope that I can get Brian Zimmerman, and Todd Crail to provide me with some info on some of their excellent outreach programs within the state that have fallen under the NANFA name.

I am very amateur, and have never attempted anything like this. I would appreciate any and all help that any of you out there might be able to provide. Please.

Ultimately, I would like to put together an informational packet that might allow others like myself, who are connected with people who are in a position to lose a few dollars for a good cause and a good tax write off. Again I ask for help.

This organization runs on a shoestring budget, and could be more, if the funding were available.

For instance, a small $500 dollar donation is the equivalent of 25 new dues paying members. Surely many of us know someone who is in a position to make a small donation like this. With a well presented packet, many of us could provide this info to potential willing donors.

If anyone reading this would like to help out, whether you have experience or not, please let me know. I have a bit of spare time, but not an abundance, but with some help, I believe we might be able to up the annual budget. By upping the annual budget we might be able, with the boards approval of course be able to compensate individuals with time consuming jobs (the AC editor), provide more grants, and possibly support regional outings by providing lunches or what not. These are just off the cuff suggestions, but additional funding in any capacity will undoubtedly move the organization in a positive direction.

All comments welcome.

Edited by Skipjack, 03 December 2010 - 08:18 PM.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:44 PM

This is an excellent idea. There are people who are really good at fundraising. I am not one of them. Maybe I can write a blurb or something. Let me know what you need.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:37 PM

Would state F&W departments be interested in making small donations, or are they usually looking for donations too?

I have never tried anything like that, but would be interested in helping.

#4 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:57 AM

This is an excellent idea. There are people who are really good at fundraising. I am not one of them. Maybe I can write a blurb or something. Let me know what you need.

I all so think this is a good idea.
I left Todd Crail a message and he said we at NANFA could use his artwork if needed for a brochure,with your blurb we could put something together for sure.
maybe we could use this a templet to start from.i will get ahold of the EPA FOR PERMISSION.or we could dig up some old AC parts for the first packet to get started with. this may speed up the time to produce a working set of hardcopy to show to the public.this would all so cut cost as all of this has printed before so some were there is a ripped ready to print backup copy at the printer as a whole.if we can find the final version there would be no need to design,edit,pull proofs or all of the other work involved in prepress.

http://www.epa.gov/b...lIndicators.pdf

e-mail to EPA sent.

Edited by CATfishTONY, 04 December 2010 - 09:27 AM.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

Thank you guys. For now, because of our close proximity, I think I will work a bit with Tony and get a game plan together for the informational packet. Once we have a few ideas outlined, I will submit them so that others can help add, or delete.

Martin, If you can start a rough draft of anything that you can think of that is useful, I would appreciate it. It could be as simple as jotting down ideas of past outreach programs that I could include. You are a long time member, and have a better feel for what NANFA has done that would be viewed as beneficial by potential donors.

Josh, you have learned much since joining NANFA, and you live in a state with many endemic, and sensitive species. Maybe you could put something together about how your involvement with NANFA has opened your eyes to the importance of protecting these sensitive fishes which in turn ties in closely with water quality.

Keep in mind that most of the people who might donate money will not be fish savvy. Too much latin might be a turn off. Focusing on education, and environmental concerns will be very helpful. Links between degrading surface water quality, how it affects local fish, and ultimately drinking water would be excellent. Many wealthy people are very health conscious.

Again than you guys for offering to help. I welcome any and all ideas, as I really don't know what the heck I am doing. So any suggestion could be helpful, no matter how elementary it might seem.

Thank you all, Matt

#6 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

I think fundraiseing is a great idea, besides individules conservation clubs of other clubs might be a good sorcce too.

Also take whatever they are willing to donate on the fliers you can suggest $500 if you want but have a spot for "other" I know the club I belong to is usualy willing to give $100 - $200 for a good cause without to much discution at board meetings . But, over that & it gets sticky.

This and other funfaiseing ideas should be tried before increasing the dues.

Lake County fish and Game Protective Association (The oldest Indiana Conservation Club)at one time had well over 1000 members. When I joined there was still over 800. Over the years the club raised the dues to pay for the large newsletter, and plaques for the diferent hunting, fishing, & shooting events throughout the year. Well the News letter turned into a one page thing right after they dubbled the dues from $10 to $20 & they no longer give plaques for the contests, now they give cirtificates. We lost a number of members. The club dubbled the dues again & dropped the free membership with the Annual Game Dinner (Dues are now $40 a year) We own property now and that was the main reason for raiseing dues again. Well a number of people were on fixed incomes (Retired) or they figured they don't use the property and its no longer worth being a member. Now we have a little over 300 members.
(By the way our annual game dinner payes all the bills, we could have kept the dues low this whole time even without the cuts in benifits we made anyway.)
(I have been on the Board of Directors for almost 20 years, we made some mistakes & I don't want to see NANFA make the same ones!)

The biggest problem with this is the polititions no longer listen as much as they use to! (They only care about numbers of voters!)
This is an important issue for NANFA too, we need to influince polititions and the only way to do this is with numbers!

Mike

#7 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:15 PM

I am not sure about financial participation on their part, however, a professional organization i belong to, the International Erosion Control Association (IECA) is a group that is specifically interested in water quality....the health of our surface waters is their main schtick. I have contacts with the Northeast Chapter and could put out some feelers. A NANFA poster or a table at one of the regional or better yet national conventions would get NANFA exposed to many that are in the field of water quality. IECA members include engineers, scientists, geologists, erosion control contractors, foresters, state DOT and environmental agency employees (even the heads of agencies)....using their infrastructure to promote NANFA might be beneficial and yield new members and interest. My time is limited, as can be seen from the state and shrinking size of my fish room, but with some prepared info at hand I could send some a feeler to the NE chapter president. Not an issue to buy a table at the convention.

#8 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2010 - 06:09 AM

I am not sure about financial participation on their part, however, a professional organization i belong to, the International Erosion Control Association (IECA) is a group that is specifically interested in water quality....the health of our surface waters is their main schtick. I have contacts with the Northeast Chapter and could put out some feelers. A NANFA poster or a table at one of the regional or better yet national conventions would get NANFA exposed to many that are in the field of water quality. IECA members include engineers, scientists, geologists, erosion control contractors, foresters, state DOT and environmental agency employees (even the heads of agencies)....using their infrastructure to promote NANFA might be beneficial and yield new members and interest. My time is limited, as can be seen from the state and shrinking size of my fish room, but with some prepared info at hand I could send some a feeler to the NE chapter president. Not an issue to buy a table at the convention.

Here is some of the work one of our past editors has made up.
our BOD has given all members permission per Michael Wolf.
to print and hand out these approved files.

http://www.nanfa.org...ri-brochure.pdf
http://www.nanfa.org/misc/flyer.pdf
http://www.nanfa.org...cometonanfa.pdf

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:31 AM

Yes, these resources are there for all members to use, print and distribute.

I am really glad that everyone has become so energized about outreach and want to encourage you all to talk about NANFA where ever you go.

We are a relatively small group and need all of our members to have an outreach/communication mindset to help spread the word.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users