minimum temperatures for E. evergladei

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MAZUREL_*

Guest_MAZUREL_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:46 AM

I have a question for the forum; next friday I can have 4 Elassoma evergladei from Ruinemans, very happy with that, but what minimum temperatures are best for them?, my tanks in the shed outside, overhere in the Netherlands are having watertemps about 3 Celsius. Is that ok for them or too cold?, What is the best temp in winter for them, I like to breed with them this spring, so the temps also should be not to high as well?.
or should I put them in my indoor tank at 18 Celsius?
Regards,

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

I have a question for the forum; next friday I can have 4 Elassoma evergladei from Ruinemans, very happy with that, but what minimum temperatures are best for them?, my tanks in the shed outside, overhere in the Netherlands are having watertemps about 3 Celsius. Is that ok for them or too cold?, What is the best temp in winter for them, I like to breed with them this spring, so the temps also should be not to high as well?.
or should I put them in my indoor tank at 18 Celsius?
Regards,

Where these fish occur natively is mostly pretty far south georgia and florida... and while we certainly do get occasional freezing temps (below 0 degrees C)... it is not often and not for sustained periods... for example, temps in georgia today were below freezing last night... but may be in the low 50s F (so what? about 10 C?) during the heat of the day today.

All that being said, I would not leave my Elassoma outdoors here in Georgia... I bring them in to my basement and maintain them above 50 or 60 degrees F throughout the winter.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:46 PM

All that being said, I would not leave my Elassoma outdoors here in Georgia... I bring them in to my basement and maintain them above 50 or 60 degrees F throughout the winter.

I agree with that. Don't let the tank temperature drop below 50 or 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

Water has a ridiculously high specific heat value, which means that it takes a huge amount of energy to change its temperature. Air has a low specific heat, and changes temperatures easily when compared to water. Just because the air drops to zero overnight does not mean the water ever gets that low. The water takes a lot longer time to cool off and resists changes to temperature more, having a higher minimum temperature overnight than air does.

Edit: I explained it better here: http://forum.nanfa.o...h__1#entry75107

Edited by EricaWieser, 07 December 2010 - 04:48 PM.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

Water has a ridiculously high specific heat value, which means that it takes a huge amount of energy to change its temperature. Air has a low specific heat, and changes temperatures easily when compared to water. Just because the air drops to zero overnight does not mean the water ever gets that low. The water takes a lot longer time to cool off and resists changes to temperature more, having a higher minimum temperature overnight than air does.

Agree, that's why I was pointing out that overnight lows are not really as important as midday highs (not that they are the only thing that is keeping the water temp up down here... it also obviously has to do with the paper thin frost line we have... or more to my point, the temporary nature of our frost line).
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:20 PM

Yes, I think we can assume that the Elassoma benefit from water molecules being formed from polar covalent bonds, thus forming 4 hydrogen bonds between each molecule in the liquid phase. I know that I approve of it, at least!

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:12 PM

Crikey!

Don't let 'em freeze, is all. If you keep natives outdoors, then keep the ones from your area. That should pretty much settle it.

#7 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:37 AM

If you keep natives outdoors, then keep the ones from your area. That should pretty much settle it.

It doesn't fix all of your problems to stick to fish from your area. A tank will get colder outside than a large body of water will. Because the volume of water in a creek or pond is so many thousands of gallons more than an aquarium, the aquarium outside will experience a drastically lower minimum overnight temperature than the native body of water would.

For example, I live in Cleveland, Ohio. Green sunfish live naturally here, but if I kept a sunfish in a 50 gallon tank outside, the whole tank would freeze solid and it would die. Versus if I kept the sunfish in my many thousand gallon pond (which does not freeze solid because it's too large), they'd be [and have been] fine.

Edited by EricaWieser, 08 December 2010 - 06:38 AM.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:10 AM

Like I said - don't let 'em freeze.

#9 Guest_MAZUREL_*

Guest_MAZUREL_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

Thanks, now I know what to do with these precious gems from USA, the Elassoma , I will keep them at the attick !, Around 16 Celsius this winter.
For sure i will get a lot of young from them, I did breed with a lot of fish already, like Notropsis chrosomus, Badis badis and many others.
I will give them the right plants from their natural habitat. as well. Elassoma is a rare fish nowadays in the Netherlands, I am just one of the lucky ones in Europe, with these fish hopefully next friday, thanks I got some help from Dustin... , my German friends from the German Aquariumforum are also interested in the Elassoma & other american native fishes, I advised them to ask their lokal aquariumshop and let them order the at Ruinemans. Casper.

#10 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Like I said - don't let 'em freeze.

:laugh: or just thaw em out...they'll start flapping again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users