Crappie Eating Prepared Foods!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

Just today I FINALLY got my Crappie to eat prepared foods! Has anyone else had problems with this?

#2 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:46 AM

My crappies and sunfish, who lived in a pond with six inch feeder goldfish (comets), ate the goldfish pellets. That might be because they had no other option, though. Congratulations on weaning yours onto prepared foods; it's difficult to do but your life is a lot easier now :D

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

Just today I FINALLY got my Crappie to eat prepared foods! Has anyone else had problems with this?

Yes, everyone has problems with this... crappie are sort of known for being hard to convert... I mean all the crappie fishermen (hook and line) already know this and fishing for crappie is always done with live minnows... at least if you want to catch enough for dinner...

But that is great that you got him to convert...

Tell us more, how many crappie, what else is in the tank, how big a tank, how long have you been trying, etc. We might all be able to learn something from your techniques.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_v369_*

Guest_v369_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

It is usualy a challenge getting any species of fish to eat prepared foods when they are used to a mostly live natural diet.
Crappies can be tough, but have simmalar diet to most sunfish. starting with things like freezedried krill or one of the soft stick foods made for carniverous fishes tended to work for me.
I had mine in with blugills.
I have found that housing them with like individuals that already eat prepared foods will speed the transition.
+1 to erica on the keeping them with gold fish had a turtle learn to eat peletted food that way.
At one point I was putting collected young banded killies,mollies, and flagfish in with my guppies and/or tank raised mollies(depending on wether they were collected in fresh or brackish water. it worked every time and usualy within a week they would take flake food with no hesitation. I am not sure if it was the "learned it by watching you" princpal or if these fish are just easy to transistion.

I have not been able to transistion yellow pearch or chain pickerel to prepared foods no matter what i have tried.

#5 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

Yes, everyone has problems with this... crappie are sort of known for being hard to convert... I mean all the crappie fishermen (hook and line) already know this and fishing for crappie is always done with live minnows... at least if you want to catch enough for dinner...

But that is great that you got him to convert...

Tell us more, how many crappie, what else is in the tank, how big a tank, how long have you been trying, etc. We might all be able to learn something from your techniques.

There's only one Crappie, there's a Black Moor Goldfish in there too (ik what you're thinking, but it was in a bowl at one of my friend's houses and he knew he couldn't provide a good home, so I took it), The tank is a 20 gallon long, and I've been trying for 3 months!

#6 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

It is usualy a challenge getting any species of fish to eat prepared foods when they are used to a mostly live natural diet.
Crappies can be tough, but have simmalar diet to most sunfish. starting with things like freezedried krill or one of the soft stick foods made for carniverous fishes tended to work for me.
I had mine in with blugills.
I have found that housing them with like individuals that already eat prepared foods will speed the transition.
+1 to erica on the keeping them with gold fish had a turtle learn to eat peletted food that way.
At one point I was putting collected young banded killies,mollies, and flagfish in with my guppies and/or tank raised mollies(depending on wether they were collected in fresh or brackish water. it worked every time and usualy within a week they would take flake food with no hesitation. I am not sure if it was the "learned it by watching you" princpal or if these fish are just easy to transistion.

I have not been able to transistion yellow pearch or chain pickerel to prepared foods no matter what i have tried.

I transitioned a Yellow Perch before. It took about 2 months using sinking shrimp pellets. My main problem was that the other fish kept stealing his food!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users