US native fish at the Cleveland zoo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:16 PM

Hi everyone,

I was at the Cleveland zoo on Sunday and we saw the most amazing fish. Is this a black crappie?
Attached File  068resize.jpg   136.78KB   0 downloads
http://gallery.nanfa...er/068.JPG.html

Also, what is that fish in the background?
Attached File  072resize.jpg   156.31KB   0 downloads
http://gallery.nanfa...er/072.JPG.html

#2 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

Is this a black crappie?

Also, what is that fish in the background?

Hmm, lets see...

one

two

three

four

five

six

seven

YES! Isn't that fun!

Looks to be an awful lot of anal fin rays on those other fish. And little tiny upturned mouths. Oooh, and lateral lines that do something weird...

#3 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:46 PM

Yep its a Black Crappie, Promoxis nigromaculatus who along with their white cousins are some of Americas prettiest fish Imho; from the looks of the fish in the background I would say they are the non-native Rudd , Scardinius erthrophthalmus (its hard to tell in that picture) due to the coloration of the fish and the fins (although that may be the lighting, if it was more silvery/golden I would say Golden Shiner, Notemigonus crysoleucas because of the shape of the mouth).

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

Hi everyone,

I was at the Cleveland zoo on Sunday and we saw the most amazing fish. Is this a black crappie?

Yes, Erica, we do have a NANFA member that is one of the aquarists at the zoo, and he has consistently tried to work in native fish in the one display that represents North America... I think it was a timber wolf display when I lived up there 10 years ago.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

Yes, Erica, we do have a NANFA member that is one of the aquarists at the zoo, and he has consistently tried to work in native fish in the one display that represents North America... I think it was a timber wolf display when I lived up there 10 years ago.

Oh, okay. Well, props to that person. I had no idea how pretty a crappie was until I saw those.

#6 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:01 AM

Yeah, Erica, I'd say that those are Black Crappie and Golden Shiners. Nice photos!

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users