Edisto River

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:15 PM

I went collecting on the lower Edisto River at Martins Landing last weekend. When I got there I found the river to be very high with most of the riverbank underwater, should've checked online stream gauge info before leaving, oh well. Without much shallow water to work with I dipnetted the edges, catching only Mosquitofish and Coastal shiner. Over a patch of white sand I caught a fish which at first I took to be a darter, but instead turned out to be a freshwater goby (Ctenogobius shufeldti). I was a bit suprised to catch this fish here as the river current is pretty strong. The goby now lives in my 20 gallon, soon to be upgraded to a 55.

~Marcus

#2 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

Hi Marcus,

Good to see another SC face on here. We get schufeldti from the Back River near Goose Creek, just outside of the entrance to Cypress Gardens. It is an interesting site, since we get Heterandria, Lucania, Enneacanthus and Lepomis in the same site as Fundulus heteroclitus and majalis, along with various crabs.

We have visited the lower Edisto before and found th water level very high that day too. We did a bit of seining and got some anchovies and a gaftopsail catfish. We were looking for a historic(over a hundred years old) site where flagfish had been found. There was only one occurrence and they were likely aquarium release, but it was worth a look.

You should come up this way and join us sometime.

#3 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:42 AM

Hi Marcus,

Good to see another SC face on here. We get schufeldti from the Back River near Goose Creek, just outside of the entrance to Cypress Gardens. It is an interesting site, since we get Heterandria, Lucania, Enneacanthus and Lepomis in the same site as Fundulus heteroclitus and majalis, along with various crabs.

We have visited the lower Edisto before and found th water level very high that day too. We did a bit of seining and got some anchovies and a gaftopsail catfish. We were looking for a historic(over a hundred years old) site where flagfish had been found. There was only one occurrence and they were likely aquarium release, but it was worth a look.

You should come up this way and join us sometime.

Hi,

That sounds like a very interesting site, do you get Lucania goodei there too? My site on the Edisto is at least 10 river miles above the fresh/salt dividing line. I've only caught freshwater species there before including several shiner species and tesselated darter, so it seemed a bit out of place for a goby to be. I would definetly be interested in collecting up in your region, let me know when you are doing some trips. My schedule is a little tight since I am a grad student, but I need to get outdoors sometime too.

~Marcus

#4 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 10:33 AM

Hi Marcus,

Wish we had known you were down that way when we were in Charleston at the first of the year (or this past weekend when we were collecting the I-20 east corridor). We've got a lot of good sites down your way but try to keep them semi-secret so as they don't get overworked. Hopefully we can get together soon. Gonna have to make another run down your way in the near future anyway (Traci, pay attention!).

Chip

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users